SENIOR PRACTICE ASSISTANT / 40 HOURS / BWH COMPREHENSIVE SPINE CENTER
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Brigham and Womens Hospital is committed to putting every Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Womens Hospital. Our service will be distinguished by the delivery of high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer service excellence.
All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas:
People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Perform administrative duties under minimal supervision at the highest proficiency level.
* Act as a lead, assign and prioritize workflow, troubleshoot issues, assist with training and orientation, and provide backup support for the Supervisor.
* Provide guidance and help to other to resolve complex issues and problems.
* Provide feedback to Supervisor and input into evaluating performance of staff. Assist with annual competency assessments.
* Assist Supervisor with interviewing for new staff.
* Assist with orientation and training for new and current staff.
* Act as a super user for scheduling, registration, and billing systems. Provide training and assistance to others in these areas.
* May perform more complex or specialized functions (i.e. surgical scheduling) at highest competency level.
* Assist with training and orienting staff as needed.
* Provide cross coverage as needed.
* Assist with special projects as directed.
* Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
* Other duties, as assigned.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reviews all referrals sent to the Comprehensive Spine Center (CSC) in Epic and schedules appointments with the appropriate provider using a scheduling algorithm
2. Answers the CSC call center phone line for undifferentiated patients and schedules appointments with the appropriate provider using a scheduling algorithm
3. Trained as an Epic Template Builder and is responsible for editing and creating Epic templates for all CSC departments as needed
4. Receives Televox reports and ensures appointments are cancelled or rescheduled as requested
5. Sends new patient letters and appropriate paperwork to all new patients seen in the CSC
6. Assists as needed with scanning clinic documents (e.g., New Patient Intake Form) into Epic and sending outside medical records to HIS for all CSC departments
7. Collects defined quality/research metrics and enters CSC patient data into database in coordination with CSC clinical staff
8. Prepares Patient Reported Outcomes Measures (PROMs) data for review and/or begins analysis
9. Identifies patients with care deviating from expected protocols and/or outcomes based on a determined criteria
10. Ensures PCP Referrals and Prior Authorizations are received ahead of a patients clinic appointment
11. Attends and/or leads internal CSC staff meetings
Level of education required:
* Minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
Work experience required:
* Minimum three years medical office or administrative support experience required.
* Some additional training in office systems or other post high school education preferred. Associates Degree or higher level education preferred, but not required
Technical skills required:
* Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
* Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
* Highly proficient in all communication skills (phone, verbal and written). Ability to handle sensitive information and situations with poise and professionalism.
* Organization Skills: Strong organizational, coordination and judgment skills. Ability to prioritize effectively. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, following established protocols, and work within systems.
* System Skills: Advanced computer skills. Ability to use all applicable applications at highest competency level.
* Ability to problem solves and troubleshoots. Ability to analyze a situation and determine best course of action within established guidelines.
* Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
* Advanced understanding and use of medical terminology.
* Advanced comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
* Advanced comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
* Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS/ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Must be able to multi-task in a busy, multi-disciplinary ambulatory practice
2. Must be able to problem solve and make independent decisions when required
3. Must be able to set priorities and meet deadlines
4. Must demonstrate pleasant and professional demeanor with all patients and/or staff and be able to turn a negative encounter into a positive one
5. Must be knowledgeable in use of Epic, Epic Template Builder, and Percipio
BWH Behavioral Competencies
1. People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Definition: Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin.
a) Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or styles
b) Contribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments
c) Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectful
Definition: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner.
a) Practice active listening skills
b) Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles
c) Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience
d) Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communication
Building Collaborative Relationships
Definition: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between ones area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals.
a) Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace
b) Interact effectively with other team members, departments and customers to accomplish organizational goals
Definition: Understand how ones own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.
a) Support and respect BWHs mission, vision, values and history
b) Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization
2. Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Definition: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to