SMC/IRRT Space Vehicle Systems Lead* 9/13/2016
El Segundo, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Code: #3661
Title: SMC/IRRT Space Vehicle Systems Lead*
Date Posted: 09/12/2016
Job Location: El Segundo California
The Independent Readiness Review Team (IRRT) ensures that the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) space vehicles, launch vehicles, and ground control systems were built properly to perform reliably over the system s mission life. The SMC Commander (SMC/CC) established the IRRT. The SMC Engineering Directorate (EN) maintains the IRRT to provide an independent assessment of program risks and risk mitigation options to SMC leadership for designated SMC launch vehicles, space vehicles, and ground control systems. The IRRT acts independently from the programs under its review, and the SMC Commander is the final authority for directing and authorizing reviews by the IRRT. The IRRT can report risk assessments and recommended mitigations directly to SMC/CC; however, it typically works risks with the System Program Offices (SPO) and Mission Directors (MDs) before elevating them to the SMC/CC. The IRRT only assesses technical risk and does not consider cost or schedule constraints. After Flight Readiness Review (FRR), the IRRT will provide the same mission success risk assessments to the MD until one day prior to launch when it becomes impractical for the IRRT to provide essential and timely risk assessments that will not interrupt the launch campaign. The IRRT does not participate in cost and schedule decisions, thus does not provide risk assessments or polling votes to forums such as transport space vehicle from integration facility to stack up and roll to pad. The IRRT does provide input to space vehicle ship decisions and consent to fuel.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Primary interface to the program offices and SMC leadership for ground systems including GPS, SBIRS, WGS, AEHF, and others.
* Responsible for following the development of the space vehicle system under evaluation and identifying technical risks that will require further investigation by the technical panels (software, avionics, propulsion/ordnance, structures/mechanical, and electrical).
* Consolidate the risk assessments of all the relevant technical panels and present the results to the program office or SMC leadership during major milestone reviews or as requested.
* Evaluate risk in the area of test and evaluation, to include system test procedures, test results, system and subsystem environmental tests, configuration management, ground support equipment (GSE), system checkout procedures, launch operations, orbital operations, software, system interfaces, post flight analysis, test range instrumentation support and planning, ground and flight safety, and security.Technical evaluations and risk assessments in the area of product assurance include quality assurance/manufacturing, reliability, parts/materials/ processes control, contamination/corrosion control, and a comparison of the adequacy of the product for performance and build quality against design disclosure and fleet norms.
* Provide Advisory and Assistance Services (A&AS), including subject matter expertise (SME), in support of IRRT mission areas as directed in SMC-G-1201, SMC-G-1202, SMC-G-1203, and SMC-G-1204. Support IPTs in developing draft charts in support of Readiness Reviews described in those guides.
* Work with technical panels to perform peer reviews on space vehicles developed by SMC s prime contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
* Position is located at Los Angeles Air Force Base in El Segundo, CA.
* Travel less than 25%.
* Bachelor s degree
* Minimum 10 years related experience
* Industry experience with space vehicles, spacecraft buses, and payloads
* Experience working with military and other government representatives, FFRDC representatives, and SMC s prime contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
* Familiarity with SMC-G-1201, SMC-G-1202, SMC-G-1203, and SMC-G-1204.
* TS/SCI eligibility (TS/SSBI with SCI adjudication in the last 2 years)
* Master s degree in an engineering/technical field
* 15-25 years related experience
* Knowledge of risks associated with system test procedures, test results, system and subsystem environmental tests, configuration management, ground support equipment (GSE), system checkout procedures, launch operations, orbital operations, software, system interfaces, post flight analysis, test range instrumentation support and planning, ground and flight safety, and security.
* Currently in a TS/SCI billet at SMC
WORKING LOCATIONS & ADDITIONAL INFO
Los Angeles AFB, CO
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran.
Additional BenefitsTuition Assistance
Health care off-set
Short and Long Term Disability