SMC/SYG GEODSS Systems Engineer* 9/8/2016
Peterson Afb, CO
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Code: #3651
Title: SMC/SYG GEODSS Systems Engineer*
Date Posted: 09/07/2016
Job Location: Peterson AFB Colorado
The Ground Based Space Surveillance Division (SMC/SYG) executes sustainment program management, sustaining engineering, maintenance and supply support, and small modification execution for SSA ground sensors. These sensors provide timely and accurate metric and space object identification (SOI) data on near Earth and Deep-Space (DS) objects. These sensors also provide data for SSA catalog maintenance and support for special events (e.g. space launches, satellite breakups, and maneuvers). The Division also provides hot-back-up to the Joint Space Operations Center (JSpOC), and provides Command and Control for the Space Surveillance Network.
The scope of this contract is to execute the following activities: sustainment engineering, sustainment management, product support/life-cycle logistics, user interface functions, communications network management for long-term sustainment. These tasks are to be executed laterally with SYG depot and development contractors. Tasks fall into five areas: Product Support, Sustainment Engineering & Sustainment Management, Technical Order Management, Technical User Interface, and System Design, Engineering and Integration.
This position provides Engineering support to the Ground-based Electro-Optical Deep Space Surveillance (GEODSS) system with locations in Maui, Hawaii, Socorro, New Mexico, and Diego Garcia, BIOT (position is located in Colorado Springs).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Ensure for the planning and execution of all product support elements in the development, modification, upgrade and sustainment of the SST.
* Support, review and provide comments/input to, the development of overarching system design documentation to include: technical requirements documents (TRD); capability description documents (CDD); capability production documents (CPD); interface control documents (ICDs); and system specifications.
* Provide recommendations to lower the Life Cycle Cost of GEODSS and improve system readiness.
* Develop, plan, and implement product support strategies and analysis for Quick Reaction Capabilities, technology demonstrations, prototyping, and system test and evaluation activities.
* Develop strategies, plans and packages for classified and unclassified Depot Source of Repair (DSOR) submissions and facilitate associated life cycle cost planning and benefit analyses, partnering, acquisition of data rights, and provisioning.Staff packages through DSOR process and follow through final approval.
* Track development/sustainment risks in support of Government activities.
* Prepare briefings, reports, informational analyses in support of GEODSS.
* Coordinate and lead resolution of system issues, deficiencies, software bugs, etc. with prime contractors, depot contractors other support contractors.
* Develop and maintain technical requirements documents and architecture documentation to execute GEODSS related programs, upgrades, system modifications and enhancements.
* Review, lead, perform and/or provide relevant input on design documentation (TRDs, Specifications, interface control documents, drawings), requirements documents (ICDs, CDDs, CPDs), ECPs, PWSs, sparing plans, parts lists and inventories, TSRAs, LPDs, LCSPs, enabling concepts, concept of operations, system training plans, training material and ensure technical and support requirements that are addressed as part of all GEODSS procurements.
* Coordinate with prime contractors, depot contractors and other support contractors on GEODSS system issues.
* Provide engineering expertise, to include proactively identifying and resolving potential risks, to program managers at technical interchange meetings, design reviews, program conferences, technical order in-process reviews, VTCs, telecoms, working groups and informational meetings to facilitate informed decisions.
* Provide relevant input to acquisition planning activities, upgrades and modifications and studies and interface with contractor logistics support personnel and product support integrators.
* Provide technical and programmatic support to GEODSS.This includes, but is not limited to: General systems engineering, architecture development and decision making, integrated logistics planning and execution, acquisition assistance (includes contractual, financial, and scheduling activities), and overall operations and sustainment support.
* Develop and coordinate on design documents, requirements documents, contracts documents, enabling concepts, concepts of operations, system training plans, risk reduction strategies and recommendations, training material, test requirements, work specifications, and other technical documentation as requested to execute prototyping activities in support of Government demonstration.
* Perform design studies and analysis, performance-based design reviews, high level detailed specification and scope preparation, configuration, management and documentation control, fabrication, assembly and simulation, and modeling.
* Provide engineering expertise to prepare briefings, reports, informational analyses in support of prototyping and demonstration activities.
* Develop and perform technical insertions and risk reduction strategies, studies and recommendations to mitigate identified risk conditions.
* Travel to CONUS and OCONUS locations upon government direction.
* Bachelor s degree in business, engineering, science (physics or chemistry), mathematics or related field
* 4 years of experience in engineering disciplines, acquisition, logistics, and/or sustainment
* Knowledge of multidisciplinary professional engineering concepts, principles, practices, standards, methods, techniques, materials, and equipment to effectively apply engineering theories, principles, and concepts to system design, architecture, and integration.
* Knowledge of systems engineering practices and procedures as they pertain to sustainment, modification, logistics, and production management principles, concepts, policies, and systems.
* Knowledge of standard acquisition regulations, practices, and procedures, as well as the principles of planning and program management.
* Ability to analyze data and establish requirements for technical objectives and characteristics.
* Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and with technical accuracy, both orally and in writing, as well as work in a professional manner with peers, management, contractors, academia, and other agencies.
* Ability to use computer applications in support of planning, designing, analysis, and reporting.
* Strong written and verbal skills including writing reports and presenting results to customers
* Active TS clearance, DCID/6/4 adjudicated or recently in an SCI billet
* Master s degree in business, engineering, science (physics or chemistry), mathematics or related field
* 10 years of experience in engineering disciplines, acquisition, logistics, and/or sustainment
* Specific experience with ground-based optical systems (e.g.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran.
Additional BenefitsTuition Assistance
Health care off-set
Short and Long Term Disability