SR. DIETITIAN (BARIATRIC) / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH GENERAL SURGICAL SPECIALTIES
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Responsible for the management of preoperative and postoperative bariatric surgery patients at Brigham and Womens Center for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Performs initial nutrition assessment and follow up education with bariatric patients, as well as teaches pre-operative nutrition classes. This position requires extensive knowledge in the treatment of obesity and the use of behavioral modalities to effect change. The dietitian must possess strong interpersonal skills and teaching skills to communicate information to patients and colleagues. Requires leadership in a variety of settings as well as formal and informal teaching to medical students, house staff, nurses, dietetic interns and allied health professionals. Serves as a resource person in the area of bariatric surgery for the hospital and community.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Senior Clinical Bariatric Dietitian Responsibilities
1. Assesses and educates preoperative and postoperative bariatric surgery patients individually and in groups.
2. Develops nutrition care plans utilizing clinical, biochemical, and socio-economic and psychosocial factors. Documents, monitors, and communicates nutrition care plans through written and verbal systems. Documents in medical record based on established standards of practice
3. Communicates with multidisciplinary staff (inpatient and outpatient) regarding any nutrition related issues influencing the overall progress of the bariatric patient, participates in patient care meetings to discuss patient care issues
4. Interprets, evaluates and utilizes pertinent research in obesity to assist in "best practice" outcomes for the bariatric patient
5. Participates in program events, including information sessions, preoperative weight loss groups, bariatric forums, and support groups
6. Participates in research and quality improvement projects as needed
7. Evaluates new bariatric products based on their patient appropriateness and safety
8. Assists in the development of standards of practice within the Department of Surgery/General Surgical Specialties
9. Responsible for promoting positive nutrition outcomes to support/maintain Centers of Excellence status
10. Participates in patient satisfaction surveys and problem solving with patient issues
11. Performs other duties as assigned
1. Assists the Clinical Program Manager and Director in program planning and in evaluation of patient care
2. Collects and reports program data to the Clinical Program Manager
3. Monitors use of supplies and coordinates with Clinical Program Manager to reorder as needed
4. Performs other duties as assigned
1. Plans, conducts, supervises, and evaluates the educational experiences of dietetic interns and students
2. Develops and expands professional proficiency in the area of bariatric surgery
3. Publishes in peer-reviewed or lay publications. Presents at professional conferences.
4. Performs other duties as assigned
Keywords: "Dietition" or "Bariatric dietitian" or "Bariatric nutrition"
1. Baccalaureate Degree.
2. Currently Registered and Licensed Dietitian in the State of Massachusetts
3. Masters degree preferred. A minimum of 3 years experience in counseling, behavior modification techniques and group facilitation.
4. Experience working with the bariatric population.
1. Knowledge of metabolism in relation to clinical nutrition
2. Knowledge of food chemistry and macro/micro nutrient composition of foods
3. Knowledge of methods for treating the bariatric patient
4. Basic interpersonal skills for interaction with a diverse group of people in the work setting (including patients and families, physicians, mangers, physician assistants, medical assistants, and administrative assistants)
5. High level of analytical skills to interpret laboratory data and plan individual weight loss course
6. High level of interpersonal skills to provide "best practice" individual and group counseling to patients
7. Ability to work in a fast paced changing environment
8. Ability to analyze and evaluate nutrition research and disseminate accurate information to professionals and lay population
9. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
10. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently while paying close attention to detail
11. Must work effectively, professionally and confidently with a variety of patients and health care providers
12. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects and provide updates and follow up in a timely and effective manner
13. Required fluency in English, both speaking and writing
14. Preferred fluency in Spanish, both speaking and writing
1. Works at Brigham and Womens Hospital, Brigham and Womens Faulkner Hospital, Brigham and Womens Surgical Associates at South Shore, and Brigham and Womens /Mass General Health Care Center at Foxborough in outpatient and occasional inpatient settings
2. Work requires moderate to considerable mental strain when counseling patients or providing consultation services to health care professionals, students and the media
3. Work requires flexibility in scheduling to accommodate participation in hospital and/or departmental programs booked at times that may not coincide with usual hours, i.e. evenings and weekends
4. Work requires travel to affiliate facilities as necessary
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Brigham and Womens Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I will Communicate my commitment to high quality performance
A. I will Appear and act as a professional
R. I will Respect all individuals
E. I will Extend myself