SR Scientist/Staff Scientist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/19/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAlkermes plc is a fully integrated, global biopharmaceutical company developing innovative medicines for the treatment of central nervous system (CNS) diseases. The company has a diversified commercial product portfolio and a substantial clinical pipeline of product candidates for chronic diseases that include schizophrenia, depression, addiction and multiple sclerosis. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Alkermes plc has an R&D center in Waltham, Massachusetts; a research and manufacturing facility in Athlone, Ireland; and a manufacturing facility in Wilmington, Ohio. For more information, please visit Alkermes website at www.alkermes.com .
Job Description: The Medicinal Chemistry group within Alkermes Discovery organization is searching for an exceptional organic synthetic chemist with passion for synthesis. The successful candidate will be a key member of our synthesis team.
The incumbent will devise and execute efficient synthetic routes to novel drug-like molecules of various degrees of complexity, including designing versatile and expedient synthetic approaches that enable a rapid iterative optimization of lead compounds. A particular emphasis is on solving and executing the synthesis of challenging molecules.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements: A Ph.D. with emphasis in methodological or synthetic organic chemistry or related disciplines and at least 10 years of professional experience in complex molecule synthesis from a drug discovery setting is preferred. Candidates with a M.S. degree in Chemistry and at least 15 years of professional experience in complex molecule synthesis will also be considered.
Technical Expertise Requirements: Direct experience in synthetic organic chemistry in a drug discovery setting is required.
* Recognized expert in modern synthetic chemistry approaches and principles to
* contribute to successful drug discovery projects
* Demonstrated experience designing and executing multi-step synthesis of complex
* small molecules and/or natural products, as well as troubleshoot reactions and multistep reaction sequences
* Extensive experience in synthesis, purification and analytical characterization including HPLC, MS, NMR, and biophysical methods
* Excellent knowledge of organic chemistry and reaction mechanisms
* Effective problem solving skills and work independently
* Prioritize the chemistry efforts and good planning to ensure delivery timeline
* Work efficiently and productively in a highly dynamic team environment
* A good understanding of medicinal chemistry
* High level of motivation and the capacity to contribute independently to projects
* Ability to convey organic chemistry principles, strategy, and progress for assigned
* projects to a cross-functional teams
* Strong patent, publication, and presentation record in relevant fields required
* Follow safe laboratory practices and complies with EHS
* Willingness to take on responsibilities outside of the lab
Personal Attributes Needed: Excellent interpersonal, leadership, communication, and time-management skills are essential
Alkermes, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.