SW Development Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 10/21/2016
EBSCO Information Services
EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
Software Development Manager
A servant leader who guides, coaches, and mentors individuals and teams towards high performance. This role is primarily focused on the leadership and development of people and practices and enables self-directed teams to successfully execute against their goals within an Agile organization in support of corporate vision and strategy.
Lead the Organization
Build trust throughout the organization
Convey business values and context to the team
Recognize and acknowledge success
Communicate EIS Technology vision and team goals
Encourage employees to share feedback on the team, organization, and company via employee opinion surveys and other formal and informal channels
- Share and respond to feedback as appropriate
Champion diversity in the workforce.
Assist in establishing goals and tracking metrics to ensure objectives are met and recommend process improvements
Help attract, recruit, retain, and develop top engineering talent
Stay abreast of industry/technology trends relevant to the Software Engineering discipline.
- Read, Train, Build Experiments
Stay focused on customer/market needs
Collaborate effectively across all functions to ensure organizational effectiveness
Ensure staff understand corporate policies and procedures
Handle escalations that cannot be resolved independently by direct reports, and may similarly escalate as appropriate
Meet regularly with employees one-on-one and provide coaching
Participate in defining and administering compensation, benefits and promotions
Assign individuals to teams; address issues that teams cannot unblock; make personnel changes where necessary
Foster a growth mind-set in all employees:
- Support employees in setting and attaining professional and development goals
- Coach and mentor employees on career and personal development, team collaboration and Agile practices
- Enable regular feedback to be provided to team member
- Support continuous learning
Facilitate culture changes to enable Self-Directed Work Teams
- Knowledge transfers to empower the team
Understand and apply boundary management principles appropriate to the SDWT maturity model
- Know when to operate inside the boundary and when to step out
- Support for workplace evolution
Live the principles behind the Agile Manifesto in all interactions and equip the team to do the same
Empower the teams. Lead accountability, autonomy and empowerment within your teams and manage the appropriate boundaries to achieve this result of having self-directed work teams.
Enable agile practices that establish an environment conducive to a high level of employee engagement and performance.
Provide freedom and safety so individuals and teams are free to innovate, experiment and even fail on occasion.
Remain close enough to the team to add value and to be a competent manager; stay far enough away to let them problem-solve on their own.
Foster and enable software craftsmanship
- Coach and mentor team members on quality, XP and design practices.
- Ensure all team members are building quality into the product, receiving rapid feedback on that quality, and taking ownership of the quality that is delivered.
Coach and mentor the team on all aspects of flow. Ensure the team is using the appropriate lean/agile mindsets in their day to day decision-making.
Understand, support and apply Agile Architecture practices.
Foster and enable innovation:
- Champion diversity of thought.
- Empower teams and individuals to take calculated risks.
- Advocate for the team and promote their successes, celebrate their failures, and share key learnings throughout the organization.
Be present. Support and guide the team during all relevant Agile processes and practices.
Skills & Competencies
Trusting and trustworthy.
Ability to work with minimal amount of direction.
Good technical skills.
Demonstrate a growth mind-set.
Ability to motivate others.
Good coaching skills.
Good verbal and written communication skills.
Passion for delivering well-engineered software products.
Active listening and respect for other s opinions and ideas.
An emerging servant leader with a demonstrated ability to support self-organizing teams.
Ability to make decisions and to own the outcome. Proficient in Agile methodologies.
Track record to successful project delivery.
* Bachelor's Degree.
* 10+ years experience in software development.
* 5+ years building web applications and services on the Microsoft .NET tech stack.
* 5+ years building data tiers using RedShift, AuroraDB, MS SQL or Oracle.
* 2+ years of software development management experience.
* 1+ years leading teams using Agile, Scrum, XP, or Kanban.
* 1+ years leading teams that automate their testing and deployments
* Superb communication and presentation skills.
* Track record of successful project delivery.
* Capable of contributing technically when necessary.
* Demonstrable knowledge of software design patterns, algorithms, data structures and modern programming techniques.
* Proven database design and data architecture skills.
* Test Driven Development and Acceptance Test Driven Development.
* Experience delivering reliable DevOps solutions, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
* Experience with leveraging public cloud infrastructure (specifically AWS/EC2) is a plus.
* Experience with Scaled Agile Framework for Enterprises (SAFe).
Why the North Shore of Boston and EBSCO are great places to live and work!
Here at EBSCO we will provide relocation assistance to the best and brightest people. We are 45 minutes outside of Boston just minutes from the beach in Ipswich, MA. Ipswich is a part of the North Shore and contains a wide variety of locally owned shops, restaurants, and farms. It is not only a great area to work but to raise a family. Below are resources for you to review to better familiarize yourself with Ipswich and the North Shore area. If you have any questions please don t hesitate to reach out to EBSCO s Talent Acquisition Team.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity,