Safety Health & Environmental Manager
Balfour Beatty Construction is seeking a qualified Safety Health & Environmental Manager to work on a Bakersfield, CA based project.
A member of the safety health and environmental team who supports the construction project(s) implementation of their safety and loss prevention program. Responsible for the implementation of the company's accident prevention program, including federal/state regulations, for assigned project(s) to prevent accidents. Trains jobsite employees and subcontractors about safety programs and protocol.
* Conducts new employee project orientation and basic training with Balfour Beatty and subcontractor employees.
* Assists Loss Prevention and Operations in preparing safety related bid documents and project-specific safety programs.
* Coordinates all Loss Prevention efforts on the project with the Project Manager and Superintendent.
* Attends subcontractor preconstruction meetings, review task specific Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs) and assist with planning for safety issues.
* Assists with safety material and equipment acquisition for new project setup.
* Conducts frequent inspections of projects and identifies current and future safety challenges.
* Assists Loss Prevention Director in establishing and administering project safety recognition programs.
* Prepares written reports of project inspections and assists project staff with correcting and preventing hazards.
* Conducts project loss prevention audits.
* Provides technical safety consulting services for projects and reviews preconstruction safety submittals.
* Leads Loss Prevention and project staff with safety training at all levels.
* Assists with establishing and maintaining a project crisis management plan.
* Conducts accident investigations and assists with OSHA and environmental inspections.
* Maintains project incident logs for all reported injuries, GL claims, WC claims, and OSHA recordables.
* Assists Superintendent with sediment and erosion control and other environmental responsibilities and audits.
PROMOTE CUSTOMER RELATIONS
* Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer's expectations.
* Actively participates in industry, client and community relations to enhance company image.
CULTURE, LEADERSHIP AND EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT
* Promotes our Creed. Communicates our vision and purpose through Service, Talent, and Choices.
* Serves as a role model and promotes professional behavior.
* Participates in company training programs and commits to self development.
* Keeps current with new developments in OSHA regulations and company safety policies, and communicates to the appropriate jobsite personnel.
Perform other related duties as assigned
* The majority of work is completed on job sites in an office trailer or in an existing structure. Due to daily condition changes on construction projects, when employees are outside of the office trailer or structure, they must wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by the company's safety policies and as required for weather conditions.
* The project team and/or team member may need to move to other projected work geographic locations, if necessary.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND KNOWLEDGE
* 5 + years of experience, preferably in the construction industry as SSHO. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary. B.S. in Safety & Environmental Health, Construction Management or related field or certification as a Certified Safety Professional, preferred.
* Demonstrates accurate record keeping skills.
* Demonstrates solid customer service skills and verbal/written skills.
* Demonstrates the ability to be a team player and function in a fast-paced, changing environment.
* Demonstrates the ability to mentor/train others.
* Demonstrates leadership skills with ability and willingness to face challenges, solve problems, and motivate others, while maintaining effective relationships with customers by meeting or exceeding their requirements and expectations.
* Demonstrates proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook) and Vela.
Balfour Beatty is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, pregnancy or breastfeeding, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other status protected by state or federal law. Apply Now