This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 11/4/2016
Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp.
Roanoke Rapids, NC
JOB DESCRIPTIONESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
* Champions the continued development of a safety culture centered on proactively, engagement, and resourcefulness and alignment with Our Principles.
* Champions the adoption of best practices, the implementation of safety initiatives, and the systematic hazard recognition, mitigation, and elimination to reduce the risk of injury to employees, contractors, and visitors at the Roanoke Rapids Mill.
* Prioritizes safety initiatives with regard to the worker's compensation claims to reduce injury frequency, severity, and lost work days.
* Serves as the primary mill contact with OSHA and other regulatory agencies and ensures recordkeeping and reporting requirements are met.
* Directs both KapStone and outside services safety and medical staff, where appropriate.
* Oversees the development of employee health, wellness and safety programs and training to ensure effectiveness and compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
* Owns the employee medical records system separate and apart from the employee personnel files.
* Acts as a general safety and health subject matter expert, resource, and consultant to mill leaders as they champion and develop safety policies and procedures.
* Analyzes data to prioritize initiatives.
* Engages all necessary resources to investigate injuries and near-misses to determine cause, implement preventive measures and manage return-to-work activities.
* Provides an on-call response to the mill leadership team on a rotating basis for human resources and safety related issues.
* Develops and implements standard processes that enhance site-wide safety and training leadership.
* Stays abreast of new federal and state safety and health regulations and proactively updates policies, procedures and the site Safety and Health Manual to ensure the organization is in compliance.
* Conducts safety audits and inspections of systems, procedures, programs, practices, facilities, and equipment to ensure effectiveness and continued compliance.
* Travel may be required typically between four and six times per year to attend conferences or mill division meetings.
* Engages in company-wide initiatives, best practice sharings, and corporate audits as directed by the Vice President of Corporate Safety.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree or advanced certification in a Safety, Medical, Human Resources, Industrial Relations, or related discipline.
Previous Work Experience
* Minimum 5-8 years of progressive safety or occupational health responsibility with clear career progression.
* Must possess strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills, and proven ability to apply techniques at all levels of the organization.
* Must possess self-initiative to identify and anticipate client needs, assess the emotional climate of the organization, and make recommendations for changes and implementation.
ROUTINE DECISIONS AND FORMAL POLICY SETTING
* Develops objectives and general policies and procedures for a specific program or functional area of responsibility within general scope of established operational goals and plans. Day-to-day work and decisions do not require direction or review by immediate supervisor. End results are reviewed by supervisor. Strategic issues are referred to supervisor.
Strong verbal and written communication.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
* The incumbent must have completed the OSHA 30-hour Course or complete the course in the first year in the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled