Safety Specialist III / Fire Safety - Safety & Business Continuity
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
UT Soutwestern University Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONFull/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Associate\'s degree in safety related field and six (6) years directly related safety experience. Bachelor\'s degree in safety related field and four (4) years directly related safety experience. Master\'s degree in safety related field and two (2) years directly related safety experience. Professional certification pertinent to specific safety specialty is preferred. Pertinent Military experience may be considered for some of the required experience.
Expertise is required in one of these specialized areas, Radiation Safety, Laser Safety, Fire Safety, Occupational Safety, Biosafety, Chemical Safety, or Environmental Compliance. Please review specifics of the job as noted below in the comments section to identify for which safety program this posting is recruiting.
1. Manage the development of policies and procedures to maintain safety on campus.
2. Ensure the safe use of hazardous materials through licensure, registration, and compliance with accepted environmental, health, and safety standards.
3. Develop routine safe surveillance systems. Perform and manage others in the performance of safety inspections, generating reports to communicate results, and tracking items for resolution.
4. Identify potential safety hazards, prepare reports on conditions and takes action to mitigate identified deficiencies.
5. Conduct and ensures the testing, inspection, and maintenance of safety equipment and systems.
6. Develop and deliver safety training.
7. Stay abreast of and inform others of environmental, health, and safety regulations and practices and summarizes changes.
8. Maintain or oversee the required records and documentation.
9. Prepare for and respond to emergencies including hazardous materials incidents. Participate as a leader during emergency drills including fire drills.
10. May be on-call or emergency situations may require the individual to respond at times outside of set work schedule.
11. This position is designated as essential. Personnel in designated essential positions are expected to report to work as required in the event of an emergency to sustain institutional services or protect assets.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Safety Spec III - Fire Safety
1) Review life safety and fire protection plans and conduct inspections of various types of campus buildings. Must conduct the inspection in a professional and efficient manner and clearly communicate the deficiencies to the appropriate persons in writing.
2) Research and apply the requirements of all applicable fire protection codes in order to appropriately answer questions from staff and contractors.
3) Oversee life safety & fire protection in a designated area of campus to ensure compliance with all applicable codes.
4) Develop, conduct, or supervise training courses tailored to appropriate departmental groups within UT Southwestern regarding fire safety.
5) Develop and maintain work schedules in order to accomplish tasks and projects assigned by management.
6) Assists in preparing for and responding to emergencies including fires, flooding, and hazardous materials incidents. Attends required training to achieve and maintain certifications as necessary to accomplish these goals. Participates in drills including fire drills.
7) Individual will be on-call or emergency situations may require the individual to respond to campus outside of set work schedule. This position is designated as essential. Personnel in designated essential positions are expected to report to work as required in the event of an emergency to sustain institutional services or protect assets.
8) Performs other duties as assigned.
9) Supervise staff of one or more employees.
10) Supervises staff and manage Human Resources activities including recruiting and selection, hiring and termination, training, professional development, mentoring, counseling, performance
11) Joint Commission experience is preferred.
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..