Safety and Sanitation Manager, RTE 8/23/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAeroFarms, the commercial leader in urban agriculture and indoor vertical farming, is seeking an experienced Safety and Sanitation Manager to assist the Director, Food Safety and Quality Assurance in the development and execution of Safety and Sanitation Procedures and Programs to support the safe production of Ready-to-Eat, Fresh-cut Leafy Greens for what will be the world's largest indoor vertical farming and packaging operation.
AeroFarms is transforming agriculture and redefining the industry's supply chain. The company's state-of-the-art technology uses aeroponics and LEDs to deliver a totally protected growing environment, that is close to the end user thereby minimizing harmful transportation miles. The company grows hundreds of varieties of baby leafy greens, herbs, and micro greens that are harvested at their peak for the best flavor and nutritional value. Fully traceable from farm to fork, the leafy greens are grown from non-GMO seeds.
AeroFarms is building a brand new state-of-the-art facility in Newark, NJ to serve the NY Metro area. The facility will be the world's largest indoor vertical farm for leafy greens and herbs. To support substantial interest from national retailers, AeroFarms also plans a significant scaling of the business, including facilities in other cities and countries in the near future. The company is dedicated to enabling local production at a commercial scale in markets throughout the world.
We're looking for an experienced and talented individual to be the Safety and Sanitation Manager for AeroFarms new growing and packaging facility for RTE leafy greens in Newark, New Jersey. In this role, you will lead and/or assist the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Director in developing and implementing safety and sanitation procedures and programs to be in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Further, you will schedule sanitation employees for their daily jobs according to the daily production schedule and inspect and monitor daily sanitation; ensuring employees perform their jobs according to AeroFarm's approved SSOP's. You will inspect machinery, plant floor areas, outside areas, composting areas and tools/utensils used in sanitation to make sure that they are in good repair. You will schedule the cleaning and sanitizing of all jobs according to master cleaning schedules; proactively ensuring all plant areas are maintained to operating procedures day and night.
Further, you will monitor that jobs are done with sanitation excellence using GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) as guiding principles to ensure sanitation standards are consistently and safely achieved. You will keep sanitation master cleaning schedules up to date. You will conduct impromptu internal facility inspections to mirror regulatory inspections and coordinate with maintenance any job required to keep the deep cleaning schedules up to date. You will also coordinate with maintenance any cleaning / sanitation required after repairs are completed to ensure safe food production. You will inspect the plant for sanitation and safety deviations, file audit reports, correct when possible and advise Food Safety communicate issues / concerns to manager; and apply company approved disciplinary actions when needed for employees that do not follow safety or sanitation policies and procedures. You will ensure employees keep accurate records, and keep the plant inspection ready by utilizing or keeping personnel busy.
You will conduct approved safety and sanitation training and, assume new responsibilities as they come out as part your daily assignment. Incumbent will work between new state-of-the-art facility and a smaller pilot facility both located within 1 mile of each other in Newark, NJ.
The ideal candidate has 5 years of experience in Safety and Sanitation in the Food Industry, 2 of those years in a supervisory role. Experience in ready-to-eat perishable products (growing, packaging and shipping) industry, microbiology, and SQF (Safe Quality Food) is a definitive plus. He/she will be an energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high standards and good judgment. In addition, our organization values individuals who can lead by example and keep the focus on a team-centered environment with shared success.
Incumbent will report to the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Director and will have a close working relationship with Operations, Engineering, Horticulture, R ensure employees do their jobs according to the company approved SOP's.
* Inspect machinery, plant floor areas, outside areas, composting areas and tools / utensils used in sanitation and make sure that they are in good repair.
* Proactively ensure all plant areas are maintained to operating procedures day and night.
* Schedule the cleaning and sanitizing of all jobs according to master cleaning schedules, monitor upon completion and keep sanitation master cleaning schedule up to date.
* Conduct impromptu internal facility inspections to mirror regulatory inspections with Team.
* Coordinate with maintenance any job required to keep the deep cleaning schedules up to date.
* Coordinate with maintenance any cleaning / sanitation required after repairs are completed to ensure safe food production.
* Supervise that all employees follow proper GMP's (Good Manufacturing Practices) and proper safety procedures while performing sanitation work.
* Evaluate employees on their performance and apply company approved disciplinary actions when needed (e.g., when employees do not follow safety or sanitation procedures).
* Ensure employees keep accurate records.
* Keep plant inspection ready by utilizing or keeping personnel busy.
* Conduct coaching discussions with employees, give suggestions, get feedback; communicate issues and concerns to manager.
* Communicate with manager when support is not given by another department when facility deviations occur.
* Assume new responsibilities as they come out as part your daily assignment.
* Assists, plans and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
* Advises Food Safety no exceptions
* Knowledge of Safety, Food Safety, HACCP, and GMP's a plus
* Prefer experience in OSHA, MSHA, and EPA regulatory requirements
* General knowledge of equipment operation within the food production industry
* Excellent Computer, communication and training skills
* Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
* Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; or three to five years minimum related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.