Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/11/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
Cox Corporate Services, Inc.
The Senior Business Intelligence Engineer will work within the Enterprise Data Services (EDS) team to design, develop, test, maintain and support data analytics and reporting solutions. The individual will work closely in a team consisting of Solutions Architects, Data Engineers, Business Analysts, System Analysts, Quality Assurance Engineers and Database Administrators in developing complex reports / applications and data warehouse solutions to meet stated requirements, develop detailed specifications and unit test plans for implementation.
The individual must be capable of understanding the Hadoop ecosystem; its complex object design and underlying data model of the system. The individual must be comfortable with data-centric applications using Hadoop tools, Netezza, Informatica, Informatica BDE (Big Data Edition), HIVE, MapReduce and Spark as well as a working knowledge of the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS).
The individual must have excellent communication skills, work well in a team environment, enjoy solving complex problems and be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
* Design and develop complex reports and dashboards, utilizing advanced components such as: advanced metrics, Free Form SQL, extensive knowledge/experience of graphs.
* Provide innovative creative reporting solutions to complex business goals.
* Perform detailed data analysis, validation, and identify data quality issues.
* Ability to tune reports for best SQL performance to run efficiently in a large data volume environment.
* Create ad-hoc reports as requested and provide on-going analytical support for these requests.
* Assist in architecture and migration of MicroStrategy schema objects
* Assess new initiatives to determine the work effort and estimate the necessary time-to-completion.
* Create test plans and scenarios for development unit testing.
* Work with peers to carry out unit testing of new development.
* Document new development, procedures or test plans as needed.
* Participate in data builds and deployment efforts.
* Participate in projects through various phases.
* Minimal overnight travel (up to 10%) by land and/or air.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Must be passionate, flexible and innovative in utilizing all up to date available tool functionality, experience, and any other resources, to effectively deliver to very challenging and always changing business requirements with continuous success.
* Must be able to interface with various business units to understand the requirements and prepare documentation to support development.
* Must be capable of understanding the complex object design and the underlying data model of the system, as well as have a highly skilled attention to the business requirements details.
* Must demonstrate a clear understanding of BI, Data Warehouse and Hadoop operating environments and related technologies.
* Experience with major Hadoop distributions like Cloudera (preferred), HortonWorks, MapR, BigInsights, or Amazon EMR is essential.
* Experience developing within the Hadoop platform including Java, MapReduce, Hive, Pig, and Pig UDF.
* Minimum 3 to 5 years experience in any combination of industry leading Business Intelligence toolsets, such as MicroStrategy, Tableau, Platfora, Datameer, etc.
* Ability to coach and mentor others on the design, development, and usage of the Business Intelligence tool product suite.
* Strong native SQL skills
* Strong experience in data warehousing concepts and techniques (e.g. Kimball etc.).
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, team oriented environment.
* Ability to complete the full lifecycle of software development and deliver on time.
* Ability to work with end users to gather requirements and convert that to working documents.
* Strong interpersonal skills with a heads-up programming attitude.
* Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or four to six years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Utilize complex computer operations (intermediate programming in 3rd and 4th generation languages, relational databases, and operating systems) and advanced features of software packages (word-processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.).
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style.
* Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
* Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
* Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Non-essential skills, knowledge and abilities:
* Tableau certification (Certified Professional) and familiarity with version 9 a strong plus.
* MicroStrategy certification (MCE) and familiarity with version 10 a strong plus.
* Experience with Agile and Scrum development process desirable.
* Experience with Netezza is a plus.
* Experience with MicroStrategy SDK is a plus.
Role Specific Competencies:
* Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, and conveys good news and bad. Establishes open, candid, trusting relationships. Treats all individuals fairly and with respect.
* Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
* Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, and meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
* Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
* Has good listening skills, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
* Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
* Manages a fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, and handles information flow.
* Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems.
* Seeks out and accepts feedback, is a proactive learner, takes on tough assignments to improve skills, keeps knowledge and skills up-to-date, turns mistakes into learning opportunities.
Sense of Urgency
* Prioritizes well, shows energy, reacts to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and meets