Senior Chemist / Research Scientist - UV cure - PhD - 3D printing Job
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Req Id 19621 - Posted 03/18/2016 - Research and Development - Exton, Pennsylvania, US
Sartomer BU of Arkema Inc., is recognized as the premier brand in the area of specialty oligomers and monomers servicing the graphic arts, coatings,and adhesives industries, with a concentration in UV cure applications and chemistry is seeking a Senior Chemist. Our technical expertise in the UV cure area has attracted interests with key manufacturers of additive manufacturing materials and equipment. Our area of focus is centered around, although not necessarily limited to, stereolithography and jetting technologies. We are focused on developing photo-cure resins exceeding market demands, looking for driven individuals who are equally passionate towards this industry to join us.
The Senior Chemist, under the direction of Market Development Director, will be the technical lead for developing new material/resin technologies aimed at improved physical, mechanical, and thermal properties for 3D Printing applications. The individual will be responsible for idea generation and execution while maintaining safety, quality, efficiency, economics, and environmental attributes. The Senior Chemist should possess leadership skills to lead large, global cross-functional teams from idea conception to commercialization as well as possess capability to take roles of increasing responsibilities. The Senior Chemist is a key role in the growing R&D team at Sartomer contributing towards developing technologies, testing methodologies go-to-market strategies, customer partnerships to drive commercial success. The key responsibilities include:
1. Lead teams and make individual contributions to develop new photo-curable material technologies for 3D Printing Technologies like Stereo-lithography and Multi-Jet Printing, directed towards improvements in physical, mechanical and thermal properties. Collaborate with management to set program direction and timeline.
2. Curiosity driven self-starter who identifies and bridges innovative ideas from diverse fields and industries; evaluates technical and economic feasibility to develop game-changing material technologies. Identify opportunities for establishing intellectual property positions and actively pursue patent filings.
3. Effective communicator who can communicate with individuals from diverse scientific backgrounds (chemists, chemical engineers, material scientists, mechanical engineers) to understand unmet needs and underlying challenges to develop a technology roadmap and implement innovative improvements. Effectively communicates findings to management and stakeholders.
4. Monitor scientific, patent and trade literature to stay current on latest technologies, identify relevant emerging technologies and leverage information to constantly advance Sartomer technology development roadmap. Collaborates across organizational boundaries, e.g. other Arkema BUs, academic groups and national labs, to further group s R&D initiatives.
5. Expert knowledge in photo-cure chemistry and deep mechanistic understanding of the chemistry to propose and evaluate innovative technologies to meet market requirements. Function as key technical resource in areas of photo-curable chemistry across the organization.
6. Expert understanding of various analytical techniques for molecular and compositional analysis like NMR, HPLC, GC, LC etc.
7. Strong desire to learn application knowledge to understand how material technologies are used in formulation and subsequent end-application. Leverage this learning to iteratively design material technologies.
8. Strong analytical skills with ability to make progress with ambiguous and incomplete information. Familiarity with advanced design of experiment techniques and statistical analysis, e.g.: DoE, multivariate statistical analysis, etc. to design and conduct experiments to optimize products and formulations for specific cured-in-place applications, according to market requirements.
9. Safety conscious individual who actively promotes safe behavior in the department and takes responsibility for safe lab operations
1. Effective team leadership and interpersonal skills to lead multiple technical projects including idea conception, project execution and implementation. Advocate for project resources, as needed. Presents findings, recommendations and cost benefit analysis to management.
2. Collaborate across organizational boundaries, e.g. Technical (Platform and Pilot), Supply-Chain, EHS, Manufacturing and Commercial teams to develop new products and processes, from lab scale to pilot scale to manufacturing. Works with leadership to break down barriers and create novel solutions at cross-functional level.
3. Provide technical input to influence technology development and business strategy.
4. Provide technical and operational mentoring to other colleagues within own business unit. Supervise others in day-to-day lab operations.
5. Promote Sartomer technologies through scientific presentations, publications, participation at tradeshows or conferences and/or customer visits.
6. Establish external network and use internal and external networks to solve problems and accelerate R&D projects. Interface with multiple levels within Company, and international colleagues. Understand, influence and engage internal and/or external customer and scientific community.
The successful candidate should be:
1. Ph.D. in Chemistry, Polymer Science or related field with strong process focus is desired. 5+ years working in chemical industry.
2. Experienced professional level understanding, interpretation, and application of theory, concepts, and knowledge in specialized areas; e.g. chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer science, or other specialized field.
3. Prior demonstrated success in developing innovative chemistry solutions to challenging problems. Expert knowledge of photo-cure chemistries and organic synthesis.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to present results clearly and concisely to variety of audiences.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills. The ability to work and think both in a team environment and as an independent contributor.
6. Six sigma certification is a plus.
A global chemical company and France s leading chemicals producer, Arkema is building the future of the chemical industry
every day. Deploying a responsible, innovation-based approach, we produce state-of-the-art specialty chemicals that
provide customers with practical solutions to such challenges as climate change, access to drinking water, the future of
energy, fossil fuel preservation and the need for lighter materials. With operations in close to 50 countries, some 19,000
employees and research centers in North America, France and Asia, Arkema generates pro forma annual revenue of some
$8.1 billion, and holds leadership positions in all its markets with a portfolio of internationally recognized brands.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
For more information about the EEOC, please refer to The \\"EEO IS The Law\\" poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.