Senior Crash Safety Engineer 8/25/2016
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Develop detailed test plans for crash testing of new vehicles.
* Work with external test facilities to develop budgets and schedules for crash testing.
* Conduct safety tests both in-house and at external test facilities.
* Identify test incidents and write test incident reports.
* Issue concerns for test incidents requiring countermeasures.
* Process and interpret test data, generating the appropriate graphs and plots required to communicate test results.
* Write comprehensive test reports, documenting the results of testing and to communicate issues identified during testing.
* Work with internal engineering teams and external suppliers to develop and validate performance of passive safety systems.
* Define the exact configuration of vehicles and the number of vehicles required to complete safety testing required for type approval.
* Participate in detailed design reviews to drive definition and validation of proper vehicle systems behavior and in program reviews to provide feedback on vehicle safety performance to release or hold product for production.
* Develop the supporting processes and test documentation.
* Tracking test data and documenting issues identified in test reports into an issues tracking database.
* Develop and review certification documentation and test data relevant to exhaust and evaporative emissions and fuel economy data.
* Review technical data relating to vehicle and engine testing relevant to exhaust and evaporative emissions and fuel economy.
Sr. Crash safety engineer
* A broad background in automotive vehicle level testing to support safety performance and homologation requirements.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish effective working relationships with engineering and test teams, both within and outside Tesla.
* Ability to interpret crash data and video data generating valuable outputs and recommendations.
* Demonstrated ability to influence direction of design based on test results.
* Extensive experience in test development and instrumentation to validate system performance.
* Experience working with various test labs and proving grounds with broad contacts in the field of automotive testing.
* Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
* Ability to interpret and communicate complex engineering concepts
* Knowledge of North America crash test models
* A Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
* A minimum of 5 years of experience in vehicle crash testing or vehicle safety role.
* Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 20% travel)