Senior Custodian - per diem
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 1/8/2017
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Title
Senior Custodian - per diem
Trades & Services
8 ; 20%
Hospity Svcs MB
This classification is represented by a union
Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
Under the immediate supervision Sr. Custodian Supervisor, a Lead Custodian, or the Operations Manager, the incumbent performs the following:
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
COLLECTION AND DISPOSAL OF SOLID WASTE AND SOILED LINEN
* Empties and cleans waste receptacles and replaces plastic liners. Labels, collects and removes infectious and non-infectious waste material from assigned areas. Collects soiled linen from patient areas and disposes of it via linen chute or by transporting it in covered soiled linen carts. Uses large tilt trucks to transport regular waste to a disposal unit or compactor. Uses hand trucks for the transportation of infectious waste containers to designated area or unit for safekeeping and proper disposal.
* The Floor Care job consists of sweep/dust mop and wet mop hard floors in rooms for non-patient or patient use, laboratories, bathrooms, hallways and stairways; spot mop to remove stains or spillage; vacuum clean carpets in offices, patient rooms, waiting areas, conference rooms, libraries, hallways, stairways, etc., spot clean carpets; uses standard cleaning equipment to strip or scrub floors, apply floor finish/sealer, burnish floors, shampoo carpets and furniture, clean baseboards, door kick plates, elevator tracks; operates electric and/or battery powered equipment including but not limited to floor polishers, floor scrubbers, automatic scrubbers, burnishes, steam cleaners, carpet shampoo machines, carpet extractors, furniture shampoos, and heavy duty dry/wet pick up vacuum cleaners, etc.
* Dust and/or washes furniture and fixtures in offices, classrooms, shops, conference rooms, laboratories, kitchens, dining rooms, laundry rooms, nurse stations, patient rooms and non-patient rooms and/or areas; clean over bed tables, side tables, chairs, patients and staff lockers, IV stands, all wall mounted fixtures, including thermometers, lamps, television sets and brackets; clean ice machines, refrigerators, water fountains, vents, venetian blinds, blackboards, telephones, computer tables, counter tops, desks and table tops, cabinets tops, shelves, bookshelves, window sills, doors, partitions, etc., in restrooms, washes and sanitizes walls, toilet bowls, urinals, sinks, mirrors, soap dispensers, toilet tissue and towel dispensers, seat cover dispensers, plumbing fixtures; clean showers and bathtubs, soap dishes, handrails and shower fixtures. May use ladders and movable stepladders to perform some cleaning tasks.
SUPPLIES AND EQUIPMENT:
* Requisition paper supplies, hand lotion/soap, chemicals/cleaning solutions, shampoo, wax stripper, floor finish/sealers, mop heads, buffing/striping pads, shampoo pads. Observes safety regulations by wearing eye protection and gloves when mixing chemicals or cleaning agents; maintains an adequate inventory in assigned storage closets of properly labeled cleaning materials and other supplies; refill properly labeled secondary containers/spray bottles; refill dispensers in bathrooms and other hand washing stations.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Performs other related duties as instructed by immediate supervisor; may be reassigned to other work areas as operational needs dictate; clean medical storage areas after completion of training for Medications and Auxiliary Staff Competency; clean beds after patient discharges or transfers, clean gurneys, portable commodes, chart racks, medicine carts; wash trash cans, trash tilt trucks, sweep grounds; move beds and/or light weight furniture within a unit or between floors; strip beds; make beds inspects own work, reports missing furniture, repairs needed; secure/locks work area, reports unauthorized person on the premises; report fires or safety hazards; respond to emergencies, following procedures, as in the case of fires, disasters or floods.
* Up to one year of satisfactory work experience in hospitals, hotels and industrial janitorial cleaning. Successful completion of basic custodial training desired but not required.
* Willingness and ability to tolerate, occasionally, some unpleasant sight and odors, e.g. blood, chemical odors, remains of vomiting, etc.
* Work schedule maybe on a rotating basis with every other weekend off. Willingness to work in any area or shift, including weekends, holidays, and overtime as requested.
* Ability to read, write and follow simple oral and written instructions
* Ability to clean and maintain assigned areas in conformance with established procedures and standards.
* Good working knowledge of appropriate cleaning methods, material and proper use and care of floor machines e.g. Buffers, electric or battery operated automatic scrubbers, vacuum cleaners, shampooed/scrubbing machines, regular floor stripper/scrubber, floor drier, electric or gasoline air floor sweepers.
* Ability to apply appropriates cleaning methods and techniques in special areas following given guidelines.
* General knowledge of equipment needed in emergencies such as floods, disaster or fires.
* Ability to maintain harmonious working relationship with associates, supervisor and hospital staff members.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
Return to Previous Page