Senior Data Center Manager 9/7/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY We are seeking a Senior Data Center Manager for a large global company in the FINGER LAKES AREA OF UPSTATE, NY.
Relocation assistance is available for qualified candidates.
The Enterprise Data Center Services Senior Manager role is to lead all operational and strategic aspects of the company's global data centers and hosting services, including managing staffing requirements, optimizing processes and technology while ensuring a highly available service offering. A qualified individual will be accountable in providing leadership to develop, manage and lead execution of a multi-year roadmap covering all data center services across the enterprise.
This person will work closely with individuals at all levels of the information technology organization and business partners (executives, peers, staff members, cross-functional team members) in order to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the global organization.
Key to this role is the oversight and streamlined operation of the data center services to ensure it aligns with the business objectives of the organization. This individual will plan, coordinate, direct, and design all operational activities of the data center services team, as well as provide direction and support for IT solutions that enhance mission-critical business operations.
- Manage IT staffing, including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions across multiple global locations
- Proactively identifies manager and employee development needs and provides coaching tailored to each employee's needs, dealing effectively with difficult performance issues while also giving positive feedback.
- Work to drive employee satisfaction in their roles while ensuring the organization has the right people in the right roles providing the needed services to the enterprise.
- Act as a leader of the company's culture, ensuring key concepts & organizational expectations are understood and adhered to.
- Proactively identify gaps in skillsets and provide recommendations for addressing those gaps over time.
- Educate and provide guidance to employees as it relates to proper project and task management both individually as well as collaborating across teams.
- Assemble effective and accurate resource plans to address the pipeline of projects both in the short and long term.
- Plan and sequence work for employees and other peer groups in order to ensure timely and accurate completion of planned efforts.
- Works with own group to establish measurable performance and development goals.
Strategy gets and maintains commitment, manages expectations.
- Work with stakeholders & peers to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations.
- Excellent architecture design and comparative skills with the ability to denote user and service delivery organization impacts in the short and long term.
- Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products as required.
- Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization's executives, department heads, and end users regarding relevant IT activities.
- Develop, review and optimize budgets while ensuring that they comply with stated business cases, goals, guidelines and objectives.
- Benchmark, analyze, report upon and make recommendations for the improvement of the IT infrastructure.
- Oversee all reports, project plans and documentation related to data center operations.
- Ensure the efficient utilization of IT resources - including personnel & equipment - across multiple global locations.
- Ensure best practices are established and followed for effective problem resolution for a high availability, 24/7, global environment.
- Intuitive ability to identify opportunities to apply standards or streamline processes to define standardized work.
- Emphasis on integration of automated administration for all developed and implemented solutions.
- Ensure that as ITIL based processes (e.g. incident, change and problem management) are deployed, that the data center services team conforms to these organization-wide standards.
- Define and communicate project milestones, service level agreements, and resource allocation to executive team, department leads, support staff, and end users as needed.
- Review performance of IT systems to determine operating costs, productivity levels, and upgrade requirements.
- Authorize and oversee the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, and support of all hardware and software based on department needs.
- Develop, implement and maintain all IT policies, procedures and standards.
- Lead and perform capacity management planning in order to make recommendations for the improvement and growth of the data center and related systems.
- Proactively ensures customers and business/functional partners receive the information they need to continuously make the most productive use of their IT solutions/services.
- Plans and creates clear, informative communications targeted to all the appropriate the people at the appropriate time. Leads presentations to large and/or senior audiences
- Proven ability to own third party relationships and lead negotiations.
- Ability to effectively develop proposal requirements for all hardware and software upgrades, reviews submitted bids for compliance with stated requirements, and recommend the appropriate award.
- Oversee negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Interact with vendors on solution development and related product roadmaps.
- Responsible for accurate and timely management of software and hardware maintenance/support schedules.
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in the field of computer science or information systems and 7+ years related experience managing or directing a multi-tenant hosting environment with a global customer base.
- Certifications related to ITIL, COBIT, VBLSS, Black Belt, etc. are a plus.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong in-depth knowledge of technologies including but not limited to Windows & Linux server operating systems, Hyper-V & VMWare virtualization, multi-vendor tiered storage, cloud hosting/storage technologies, backup & long-term archiving technologies, Microsoft SQL database hosting, Active Directory/Directory Management, Single Sign-On, Exchange messaging & Lync collaboration. Experiencing leading/managing an IBM iSeries AS/400 support team is a plus.
- Experience in server/platform consolidation ability to apply data privacy practices and laws in multiple countries.
- Strong understanding of project management principles; experience in successfully using project management tools to execute small, midsize and large scale global projects.
- Strong understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures.
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management.
- Strong business acumen as it related to business processes, general management, budgeting & office operations.
- Strong technical knowledge of server chassis hardware, communication protocols, configuration standards, systems management tools, etc.
- Exceptional working knowledge of and appreciation for software licensing agreements.