Design Research Lead 9/16/2016
Palo Alto, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY ROLE SUMMARY:
IDEO helps organizations innovate their offerings and themselves. We use Human Centered Design to work with clients in the private and public sectors, across product, service, environment and organization design, in both the physical and digital realms. Our work crosses strategy and implementation. IDEO Palo Alto is looking for a Design Researcher who can lead research across many different types of projects including generative blue sky, rapid and nimble iterative loops of prototyping and user feedback, and qualitative and quantitative studies that bring confidence and move ideas closer to market launch. As an IDEO Design Researcher, you ll travel domestically and globally to explore diverse human behavior and lifestyles. You will work with multidisciplinary teams and use research findings to inform and inspire strategic decisions and design solutions. You ll translate research insights into powerful stories that shift hearts and minds.
WHO YOU ARE:
You love observing people to uncover their deep needs and values. You have equal facility interviewing people to understand what their lives are about and interacting with clients to help them better articulate their challenges. You have a curious mind and naturally make connections between diverse fields and industries. You use this diverse input to illuminate new insights about people to reveal opportunities for the future, and naturally come up with new ideas to address these opportunities and you love leveraging stories and data to inspire people and help them take action whether that s in the form of photos, speeches, articles, films, or interactive sites.
And now, after 4 or more years of professional experience in research, you re ready to join a firm that cares about helping to create positive impact in the world, and you re keen to leverage your design research skills as part of a multi-disciplinary team to help envision new solutions in the world.
IDEO helps organizations innovate. We re doing that across the private and public sectors, and across product, service, environment and organization design in both the physical and digital realms.
IDEO s Palo Alto studio is looking for a Design Research Lead who can lead research across many different types of projects--from generative blue sky, to rapid and nimble iterative loops of prototyping and user feedback, to qualitative and quantitative studies that bring confidence and move ideas closer to market launch. You will work across industries, including mobility, retail, brand, health & wellness, and consumer products. You will travel domestically and globally to explore diverse human behavior and lifestyles. You will work with multidisciplinary teams and use research findings to inspire design and strategic decisions. You will translate research insights into powerful stories that shift hearts and minds.
WE D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF:
* You are driven by empathy and a passion for understanding people, and have experience with user research/fieldwork
* You are seasoned as a qualitative researcher who is familiar with a variety of methodologies. These methods might include conducting 1:1 interviews, moderating group conversations, running live prototype sessions, or engaging with users remotely
* You have experience with quantitative research and a genuine passion for data, and you either designed surveys or analyzed data. Experience using SPSS and running segmentation studies is a plus.
* Your storytelling abilities are captivating.
* You have applied research insights to creating design solution.
* You have experience working in design or with design teams.
* You have worked at startups, consulting or other professional services firms.
* You have experience working with clients or investors.
* You have experience working within a variety of industries. Background in mobility, product, retail or brand is a plus.
* You are comfortable in an ambiguous work environment.
* You genuinely enjoy working in a team.
* You are relentlessly optimistic.
If you re still with us, we d love to hear from you.
SOME LINKS TO CHECK OUT:
A New Way to Vote
IDEO Design Research Ethics
Planned Parenthood and IDEO
If you identify with our values, are excited about great design, and would like to contribute to our studio, we would love to see your Resume, cover letter, and portfolio. Your portfolio should include 2-3 examples of projects you ve worked on in a research capacity, and should focus on illustrating:
* The challenge you were trying to solve
* The research approach and methods used
* The industry
* Some key learnings
* Your specific role on the project
* The impact of your research findings on design or business strategies.