Senior Director, KITP Development
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 12/2/2016
University of California - Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Number
Number of Hires
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Primary Consideration Date for Open Until Filled
Payroll Title Name
DEV OFCR 3
Working Title Name
Senior Director, KITP Development
Department Profile (Specific Information about department/program):
Launched in 1979 under the auspices of the National Science Foundation (NSF) and located on the campus of the University of California Santa Barbara, the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (KITP) has emerged in the last 30 years as a model for facilitating productive and sustained scientific collaboration. Initially conceived principally as a national center for theoretical physics, the KITP has evolved a model for collaboration which routinely attracts the best scientists from the U.S. and around the world to formulate and to participate in its programming. Research conducted in conjunction with KITP programming has had a greater effect on other researchers than research conducted anywhere else. (The study focused on science research facilities, including mathematics and the engineering fields, but excluding biomedical science.) To learn more, visit www.kitp.ucsb.edu.
End Date/Contingencies for Grant Funding
FOC (Federal Occupation Code) Sub-Code
AA-Senior Management Group (SMG) & Management & Senior Professionals (MSP)
FOC (Federal Occupation Code)
A-Management (e.g., Manager, Director)
Advertised Range Min (full time equivalent)
A little help* Go to Salary Scales
Advertised Range Max (full time equivalent)
Advertised Range Rate Type
Other Advertised Salary Range Comments
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Percentage of full-time
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
A little help with Contracts* Go to Employment Agreements Contract
Limited Appointment End Date
A little help* Go to General Information on Limited Appointments
Is this a NEW CAREER position*
Summary of Job Duties
(Note: This summary will be used for keyword search)
Summary of Job Duties
(Note: This summary will be used for keyword search) This University Major Gifts Development Officer serves as a Senior Director of Development ("Director") for The Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (KITP). Works to optimize philanthropic support for the KITP, in response to priorities established by the KITP Director. As a senior member of the Development Office staff, fund raising efforts are devoted primarily to the KITP, and serves as a specialist for this unique philanthropic effort for an internationally known institute of high ranking and impact.
The Director focuses about eighty percent time on major gift ($100k+) and principal gifts (over $1M) fund raising activities. Twenty percent is focused on other activities related to fundraising, including lower level gift solicitations, and administrative duties such as planning, coordinating and executing those aspects of the KITP development program that are the pipeline for future large donations.
With regard to major and principal gift fund raising, the Director is responsible for designing and executing planned strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, closing and stewardship of gifts from individuals and foundations. Works personally with top donor prospects and supports the KITP Director and faculty in top prospect relationships, in order to maximize philanthropic support for the KITP and UCSB, raising gifts to meet identified fund raising priorities.
Director works to ensure that all aspects of his/her development program are internally consistent, thematically related, and compatible with the policies and priorities of the KITP, Development Office and University.
* Bachelor's degree required
* Five years of progressively responsible experience in development with a proven ability to cultivate, solicit, and steward principal gifts, ideally in an educational setting.
* Demonstrated success in a role of comparable complexity in academia, government, or the private sector.
* Significant major gift experience with a track record of raising major gifts.
* Superlative interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people at all levels of an organization across a diverse range of educational and social backgrounds, and to demonstrate an honest respect for each individual.
* An ability to influence and lead by example, coupled with team orientation and a high level of creativity, initiative and motivation.
* An ability to handle multiple, complex fundraising activities simultaneously and coordinate solicitation strategies in a decentralized environment.
* Superior written and oral communication skills; the ability to understand and translate information for all audiences; clarity, crispness, and elegance in writing and speaking.
* The ability to articulate eloquently the goals, mission and aspirations of KITP and its programs and the values that make KITP distinctive; a genuine appreciation for and interest in the promotion of higher education, professional education, research, and community development and service.
* Knowledge of office and productivity software sufficient to function smoothly in a highly technology-based environment.
Advanced degree preferred.
Special Conditions of Employment
A little help* Go to Driver's License Requirements or Background Check Guidelines Satisfactory completion of a fingerprint background check
Other Special Conditions of Employment
Optional Applicant Documents
Other Document (1)
Other Document (2)
Other Document (3)
Required Applicant Documents
FLSA Exemption Status
A little help* Go to Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Employees Exempt
CBU (Collective Bargaining Unit)
99 - Non-Represented (PPSM)
ERC (Employee Relations Code)
End Date for Other Appointment Type (e.g., Contract or 18-month Career)
Type of Supervision Received
A little help* Go to Degree of Supervision Direction
Continuously=Activity occurs 66%
Frequently=Activity occurs 33% to 66%
Occasionally=Activity occurs Not Applicable=Activity does not exist
Reach above shoulder level
Hand Activities: Fine dexterity
Hand Activities: Hand twisting
Hand Activities: Simple grasping
Hand Activities: Power grasping
Other (please specify activity)
Frequency of Other Activity
Lifting Activities: Light lifting (
Lifting Activities: Moderate lifting (20-50 lbs)
Lifting Activities: Heavy lifting ( 50 lbs)
Push/Pull Activities: Light pushing/pulling (
Push/Pull Activities: Moderate pushing/pulling