Senior Distribution Engineer 8/11/2016
Energy / Utilities Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL PURPOSE: This position is responsible for the design and engineering of distribution system upgrades, improvements and expansions to ensure the efficiency, cost-effectiveness and reliability of the distribution system.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (This section outlines the fundamental job functions that must be performed in this position. The "Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements" and the "Physical and Mental/Reasoning Requirements and Work Environment" state the underlying requirements that an employee must meet in order to perform these essential functions. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.)
* Designs overhead and underground capital distribution system construction, line relocation and line extension projects. Prepare engineering designs, detailed drawings, and cost estimates.
* Works with the Distribution and Customer Service Areas to coordinate new line extensions, line relocations, etc.
* Act as project manager for the organization's electrical work on federal and state highway projects. Responsible for coordinating all aspects of the project with other utilities, other city departments, the Agency of Transportation, the general contractor and consulting engineers.
* Provides support and technical direction to field personnel and others.
* Develops request for proposals and agreements for contractors. Evaluates proposals and makes appropriate recommendations.
* Determines equipment specifications for distribution transformers, switchgear, cable and other construction materials.
* Coordinates joint ownership contract administration, and other third party licensee agreements.
* Responds to requests for electric service fault current information.
* Works with the Line Extension Department and the Department's legal staff, to identify needs for easements, rights-of-way and permits.
* Responsible for maintaining an up-to-date mapbook of the distribution system. Ensure all requested CAD changes to the distribution system drawings are implemented.
* Performs fuse coordination studies to ensure proper operation of system protection devices..
* Develops and maintains Company's Construction Standards.
* Participates in the development of Conpany's policies regarding co-generation, system interconnections, voltage flicker, power quality, CAD standards and other areas requiring his/her expertise.
* Provides expert testimony for rate case and ACT248 filings.
QUALIFICATIONS/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
* Bachelor of Science degree in ElectricalEngineering, with a minimum of five (5) years of experience in Electrical Utility Engineeringrequired.
* Ability to obtain professional certification as a professional engineer (PE) Knowledge of National Electric Code (NEC) and National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) is required.
* Demonstrated communication skills required.
* Ability to work well with customers is essential.
* Ability to keep abreast of current technologies and procedures.
* Professional behavior that reflects excellent customer service and encourages working partnerships with internal (e.g. employee) and external (e.g. ratepayer) customers is required.
* Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver's license required.
* Ability to attend evening meetings, as well as, travel to conferences, workshops or other professional meetings required.
* Ability to wear personal protective equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, hard hat, fire retardant overalls, etc. is required when working outside.
* Ability to frequently work outside where there is exposure to heat/cold or moisture, hazardous materials, energized wires/equipment, and traffic.
* Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
* Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
* Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
* Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
* Ability to work long hours to accommodate workload or emergencies.
* Provides after hours support to field personnel during critical outages.