This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/13/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
Balfour Beatty Construction Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Balfour Beatty Construction is seeking a qualified Senior Estimator to join our team in Irvine, California. If you have a passion for what you do, a strong drive to achieve results, the ability to solve problems creatively, and a dedication to client service and relationship management, come join us.
** MUST HAVE INTIMATE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LA AND ORANGE COUNTY MARKETS AND SUBCONTRACTOR BASE**
The Senior Estimator is a member of the preconstruction team and is responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients under the CM at Risk, CM Multiple Prime, GC, Design-Build, Lease-Leaseback and Hard Bidstructure. Responsibilities also include working with the project management team in establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value engineering in all CSI (Construction Specification Institute) categories of work. Some supervision of other estimators, intern/co-op students, or project engineers.
* Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for all CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development and, construction documents).
* Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with the project management team s assistance.
* Manages multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask.
* Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
* May assist the project management team in soliciting and analyzing subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
* Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
* Develops unit costs accurately.
* Develops and analyzes value management analysis options.
* Performs technical/plan review when required.
* Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
* Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources and use this knowledge in guiding the owner to a viable project.
* Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
* Ensures all data placed in the historical database is accurate.
* May assist in purchasing or buyout duties.
* Participates in document review workshops.
* Proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (e.g. Beck Estimator/WinEST/Timberline, On-Screen Takeoff (OST),BuildingConnected and Bluebeam).
Promote Customer Relations
* Prepares and presents budget presentations to owners and architects.
* Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer s expectations.
Culture, Leadership and Employee Development
* Promotes our Creed. Communicates our vision and purpose through Service, Talent, and Choices.
* Serves as a role model and promotes professional behavior.
* Participates in and supports Estimating programs, and commits to the development of department personnel and of self. Leads in the training and development of estimators.
* Constantly strives to improve capabilities, performance and expands knowledge of construction technologies.
Performs other related duties as needed.
* B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 7 + years of preconstruction and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects or 10 - 12 years of progressive equivalent work experience in a related field. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary.
* Knowledgeable in some or all of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, interior finishes, exterior wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
* Must possess knowledge of exterior building wall systems and interior finish construction systems.
* Must demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, and other trades.
* Experience in the Los Angeles and Orange County region, with intimate knowledge of the local markets and subcontractor base in both the private and public market sectors.
* Possess good organizational and management skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
* Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
* Possess the ability to estimate all aspects of a commercial construction project, assemble into one budget, and present to owners.
* Must be able to view things from an owner s perspective and present accordingly.
* Must be able to work in and/or organize teams.
* Must be able to operate as a stand alone estimator able to handle complete projects if required.
* Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software, word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
The majority of the work is completed in an office setting at the Division s main office. Periodic meetings at off-site locations may occur.
Balfour Beatty is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, pregnancy or breastfeeding, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other status protected by state or federal law.
#LI-POST Apply Now