Senior Manager Engineering and Transition
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Harbor Freight Tools
Moreno Valley, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONHarbor Freight Tools is seeking a qualified Sr. Manager of Engineering and Transition to join our growing Distribution Center in Moreno Valley, CA
The Sr. Manager of Engineering and Transition will lead operations transition and improvement initiatives in a large scale, rapidly growing retail distribution center environment. This person in this role will work closely with distribution operations leaders to develop and execute plans for expansion of operational capabilities and operational improvements. This position will require experience in project planning and execution, business process analysis and engineering, continuous improvement methods and operational leadership, preferably in distribution environments. The Sr. Manager, Engineering and Transition will be responsible for planning and execution of operational transitions related to capital improvement projects and for working with operations leaders to enhance operational effectiveness through continuous process improvements. Previous experience in applying Lean or Six Sigma methods is highly desirable. Outstanding drive and leadership skills, attention to detail, and ability to plan and execute complex projects are required. In this position challenging the status quo will be expected you will need to think creatively and strategically about the business, working with operations leadership to identify and pursue the most promising opportunities.
Harbor Freight Tools is different. We're not your typical retailer. We're actually a retailer and branded tool producer rolled into one. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. We're allergic to bureaucracy, extra layers of management and politics. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 35year-old, $3.5 billion company - on pace to $7.5 billion in the next few years - with the energy and enthusiasm of a start-up. We have over 600 stores nationwide and are opening a new one every week. If you're a leader with your ego in check, if you know what it means to be an open-minded partner, if you aren't afraid to get into the weeds to learn the Harbor Freight way and join our history making enterprise, then we'd love to talk to you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Support the efficient growth of the distribution network by increasing capacity of current distribution centers; improve productivity and performance by developing and implementing engineered standards.
* Drive and manage local engineering teams on the design, approval and implementation of operational improvement, transition and expansion projects
* Assist in evaluation and design of distribution center operational processes, layout, material handling and other systems, and analysis and reporting, including estimates of returns on invested capital and development of business cases for approval.
* Partner with operations leaders to establish operational work standards and to identify implement operational improvement opportunities.
* Lead planning and execution of complex capital improvement, transition and operational improvement projects, meeting project objectives on time and within budget while managing risk and ensuring that delivered solutions meet high standards for quality and effectiveness.
* Set direction, resolves problems and provides guidance to members of operations transition team.
* Leads cross-functional project teams formed to implement change and drive continuous improvement, including analysis of key business problems and development of effective solutions.
* Use appropriate problem solving tools to provide rapid improvement with sustainable results.
* Request, manage and approve all RFQ
* Validate progress and completion milestones
* Apply Lean methods for structured problem solving.
* Ensures process standardization and proliferate best practices.
* Lead efforts to drive collaboration among distribution center leaders throughout the network to identify and adopt best operational practices.
* Supervises staff -- leads a team of 6-10engineers and transition managers.
* Travel - approximately 10-15%travelrequired.
* Location--Located at distribution centers.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS - EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor's Degree in Engineering. Supply Chain Operations or Operations Management preferred
* Master's Degree in Business, Engineering or Operations Management a plus
* Minimum 5-7years of experience in high volume distribution preferred
* Must be highly organized, and be able to handle multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
* Possess a high degree of financial and analytical skills
* Excel at working and leading in a team environment
* Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and written at all levels of management
* Proficient with all aspects of Operations Management, techniques and principles
* Experience in applying and teaching Lean or other Continuous Improvement methodologies.
* Proven track record of successful change management and accomplishments implementing productivity and cost reduction programs.
* Possess strong computer skills
General office environment requiring ability to:
* stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
* speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
* use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
* Ability to lift items up to 75 pounds.
* Ability to team lift items over 75 pounds.