Senior Manager, Growth Insights
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 11/15/2016
The J. M. Smucker Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY For more than 115 years, The J. M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of consumer food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks in North America with annual net sales of approximately $8 billion. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker's , Folgers , Jif , Dunkin Donuts , Crisco , Pillsbury , R.W. Knudsen Family , Hungry Jack , Caf Bustelo , Martha White , truRoots , Sahale Snacks , Robin Hood , and Bick s . In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Meow Mix , Milk- Bone , Kibbles 'n Bits , Natural Balance , and 9Lives . The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Senior Manager, Growth Insights
Director, Growth Insights
In this new role for the Company, you will be co-leading a cross-functional team through the fuzzy front-end innovation process; identifying strategic opportunity areas & creating innovative new products and services across food, beverage, and pet food/snacks.
The successful candidate will balance strong analytical thinking abilities with a proven record of imagination and ingenuity, while demonstrating the ability to solve unique & complex problems and leading the cross-functional team through the inevitable twists & turns of front-end innovation.
S/he will be a strong co-leader with the Innovation team to define & refine the beginning stages
of the innovation process to ensure that business needs are effectively translated into meaningful solutions that create value for the people & pets we feed.
A creative mindset is necessary to bring to life unique, compelling insights and business opportunities for cross-functional teams and ensure the consumer is the center of everything we make. S/he will be recognized for their expertise in innovation strategy & insights within J. M. Smucker, have a passion for creating new products based on what could be, a strong design sense, insatiable curiosity, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
* Takes personal ownership for ensuring company brand growth goals are met by partnering with Innovation Sr. Managers/Director to lead the development and creation of early stage, whitespace innovation vectors
* Unlock new consumer-centric value propositions through unique, simple, and inspiring consumer insights that clearly and succinctly identify an unmet need (the "job to be done")
* Responsible for progressing high-value ideas through an iterative design process
* Partner with business unit insights teams in foundational insights work that builds our internal Consumer Knowledge Estate (CKE)
* Work with Brand Directors to ensure innovation platforms are aligned to business needs and brand strategy
* Bring CKE work to "the next level" by dimensionalizing with custom research, deep knowledge of the marketplace, business environment, macroforces and trends to inspire innovation opportunities
* Conceptualize and implement immersive team engagements to uncover and bring to life consumers' deep needs and desires for prioritized Innovation drill sites
* Co-lead the Innovation team, determining strategic path forward (e.g., brand architecture, portfolio strategy) and fully engaging cross-functional team members (as appropriate)
* Inspiring confidence in/commitment to strategic direction among senior leadership, SBA Marketing VPs/General Managers, and C-Suite
* Ensuring the cross-functional team maintains a consumer-centric focus throughout early stage innovation work
* Identify, scope & lead partnership with outside ideation and innovation firms to ensure engagement assignments deliver upon true consumer needs
* Must consistently demonstrate ability to "think on your feet", make decisions independently, adjust direction "on the fly" - problem solving in consistently high pressure situations
* Inspires respect & confidence in team, influencing decision-making during meetings with all levels of the organization
* A Bachelor's degree is required
* At least 10 years of relevant experience in fields such as design research, agency planning, consulting, or ideation
* Has led a strategic, brand planning process and/or design thinking practice (agency or client-side)
* Conceptual & creative thinker with background in a design thinking approach to CPG innovation
* Storytelling skills to bring the consumer and business opportunity to life and inspire the organization to see the market possibilities
* Exceptional writing skills, including strategy presentations and guiding the development of simple, compelling, and succinct new product concepts
* Broad working knowledge of innovation best practices across CPG & other industries
* High level of professional maturity
* Strong communication skills with business, creative, and technical audiences, in particular the ability to take complex ideas and articulate them clearly & simply
* Deep knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research/analytics content & methods in order to distill content and bring the insights to life for Innovation engagements
* Creative thinker adept at problem solving and able to cultivate those qualities in others
* Act as a cultural touchstone in evolving JMS to be a more innovative, entrepreneurial organization
* Some travel required (approximately 20-25%)
The J. M. Smucker Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.