Senior Mechanical Design Engineer 8/31/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Novanta, Inc. - Celera Motion
Loomis - Loomis, CA 95650 US (Primary)
In this exciting and challenging role you will work for Novanta Inc. Novanta is a leading global supplier of precision photonic components and subsystems to OEM s in the Medical, Industrial and Microelectronics markets. Our highly engineered solutions include scanning and beam delivery products, medical visualization and informatics solutions, and precision motion control products. We specialize in collaborating with OEM customers to adapt our component and subsystem technologies to deliver highly differentiated performance in their most demanding applications.
The key to our success is our global team of talented, experienced and customer-focused professionals that take utmost pride in partnering with customers to deliver technology solutions that achieve the best possible results within the target applications.
The Corporate division of the Novanta, a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: NOVT). Join us and start working with our team of 1,400 employees in over 15 locations across the world. Novanta was founded in 1968, allowing us to claim nearly 50 years of experience in our areas of expertise.
Our success is driven by our global team of highly talented, experienced and customer-focused professionals. As a Novanta employee you will be part of a fast-paced, growing company that partners very closely with its customers. We focus on operational excellence, leadership, and accountability. If you are a hard-working, self-starter, who is looking to share your ideas, develop your skills, widen your experiences, and you want to make an impact in an exciting and challenging work environment, then Novanta is the workplace for you. We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, and exciting career opportunities.
Novanta Website: www.novanta.com
The ideal candidate will have a solid grasp of high precision mechanical, electro-mechanical and opto-mechanical modeling and design practices, along with a continued focus on learning and innovating. They will be self-starting and self-directing, with a strong desire to collaborate with and to grow with others in the organization. They will have passion around both the exploratory nature of prototyping, as well as the rigor needed to finish and deliver a product to market.
As part of our new product development team, the candidate will work with several project teams in the development, testing, and delivery of new products and the complex assembly and test fixtures used in the manufacture of these products.
This person must have strong mechanical and electro-mechanical design skills at the component and system levels. The candidate must have the ability to work well in a team environment and the ability to multi-task.
To learn more about Celera Motion, please visit us at www.celeramotion.com
* Generates mechanical design concepts and creates detailed mechanical designs for selected concepts for new optical encoder and motion control products
* Works with multi-disciplinary engineering teams and cross-functional project teams to design, implement, maintain, and improve assembly and test fixtures, equipment, components, and systems for use in medium to high volume production environment
* Performs hands-on testing and validation and associated data analysis and interpretation of new product designs, custom/derivative product designs, and assembly and test fixtures
* Generates complete product and fixture documentation through all stages of product development to support marketing, manufacturing and testing of products and ensure compliance to all applicable standards and specifications
* Works with product management and applications engineering to interpret customer requirements, recommend and capture robust product requirements, and create engineering sketches, specifications and related data and drawings to support product customizations and derivatives that support new revenue growth
* Contributes to both product and process design
* Provides equipment operation troubleshooting support as required
* Contributes toward developing and maintaining standard procedures and document management as related to the Operations Engineering group. Performs work within cross function teams across all sectors of the business
* Provides pre-sale and post-sale product/technical support to strategic medical and industrial customers as needed
* B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
* 5+ years in the design, installation and troubleshooting of small, precision, medium to high volume electronic and electro-mechanical assemblies and special purpose production machinery
* Proven competence in mechanical design within an industrial and manufacturing environment
* Experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD
* Logical thinker and good problem solver, at both the system level and component level
* Positive, can do attitude, strong engagement skills
* Demonstrated history of meeting or exceeding goals and getting results
* Technical leadership and mentoring skills with a clear high performance orientation; demonstrates energy, enthusiasm, and creativity in problem solving
* Takes accountability for meeting commitments and deadlines while taking responsibility for technical excellence and continuous improvement
* Demonstrated history of sound judgment and decision-making in balancing cost, schedules and quality objectives
* Researches situations and seeks input from subject matter experts to ensure fact-based recommendations and decisions are being made during all phases of product development
* Able to work on multiple projects concurrently
* Team oriented. Proven leadership and teamwork skills in a cross-functional engineering environment; ability to motivate and empower team members; set and manage expectations
* Displays high moral and business code of conduct
* Able to effectively project the face of Celera Motion to customers and suppliers
* Respectful of customers, peers, subordinates and supervisors
* Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project)
* M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
* Understanding of precision measurement techniques
* Knowledge of and experience in developing, using, or troubleshooting motion control components/systems
Novanta is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to physical or mental disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected federal, state/province or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.