Senior Mechanical Engineer 9/2/2016
Benton Harbor, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY ABOUT WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 97,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2015. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. We earn the trust of consumers around the globe by focusing on what matter most. Because of our leadership practices, development opportunities, business performance, strong reputation and a commitment to the communities where we live and work, Whirlpool Corporation has received many awards including - Fortune Magazine's Top Companies for Leaders, one of the world's Most Admired Companies, Fast Company's Top 50 Most Innovative Companies and we've had a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index for over 11years in a row.
This position is located at our global headquarters in Saint Joseph and Benton Harbor, Michigan - a breathtaking vacation community on 40 miles of Lake Michigan beachfront, where swimming, sailing, kayaking, waterskiing, boating, and beach volleyball are abundant. The company is host to a variety of employee resource groups, including a Young Professionals Network - a group of more than 700 local members who are active in corporate social responsibility commitments like Habitat for Humanity, Cook for the Cure, United Way, Boys and Girls Club, and other social activities. A quick 90-minute drive from Chicago, Southwest Michigan is also home to a new Jack Nicklaus signature golf course called Harbor Shores, 17 other public golf courses, nearly 20 wineries, two art districts, many seasonal festivals, outdoor concerts and events all year long. Join us in making the most of moments that matter. Additional information about our company can be found at http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com. Follow us on LinkedIn or join the conversation @whirlpoolcorp on Twitter.
Currently, we are seeking qualified candidates for a SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER to join our GLOBAL PRODUCT ENGINEERING ORGANIZATION at the BENTON HARBOR REFRIGERATION TECH CENTER.
DAY TO DAY
* Design and development of Modules and plastic components in Refrigerator.
* Drive new product design and development projects from concept development to execution. (Conceptualization, Design, Testing, Implementation)
* Interaction with Cross Functional Team
WHAT YOU WILL DO
* Concept development & conversion into design, Concepts evaluation & selection of best concept based on Pugh and trade off analysis.
* Fine tuning of concept (Hand calculations, Fit & Finish, Material selection, Design for Manufacturing/Design for Assembly)
* FMEA, DVP&R, Six Sigma (OPEX Tools- Thought Map, Product Map), GD&T Tolerance Stack up, FRACAS and Reliability analysis for the modules and components owned.
* Understanding and reviewing simulation reports of ANSYS, Mold flow, etc.
* Meetings/reviews with project team members
* Technical Project management - Schedule, Scope and Risk management related to Modules, components owned and developing.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
* A minimum of 6+ years experience in Design & Development of appliances / HVAC/ Automobile / Peripherals industry on plastic & sheet metal components
* Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Master's Degree in Engineering preferred.
* Design knowledge of Plastic components at subsystem & system level.
* Knowledge of Plastic Materials and Injection Molding process. Design experience of Sheet Metal components preferred.
* Knowledge about new product design & development life cycle.
* Sound knowledge in engineering principles, theory and practice. Hands on experience of design calculations for structural components.
* Experience in Product Performance, Prototyping & Testing, Competitor Benchmarking.
* Hands on experience on new product design and development projects.
* Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Preferred though not mandatory -Certified Reliability Engineer, AVS Certified, Six Sigma certified.
Whirlpool has big plans for the future, just like you. We understand that it takes preparation and hard work to get there. So, we offer challenging purpose, ownership of your role, great teams, and tools to build your capability. In our performance-based setting, you can take your career in exciting new directions - and as far as you want to go.