Senior Network Engineer 9/2/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Senior Network Engineer for the Pacific Region will support the medical mission of the DoD to ensure that the highly complex and technical requirements related to the infrastructure are addressed. The Senior Network Engineer is a key personnel, and identifies and resolves larger, more complex LAN/WAN network problems and issues, researches network-level problems using network management tools and is responsible for providing high-level installation, configuration, management and troubleshooting of LAN/WAN communication equipment for networked facilities.
* Serves as the regional point of contact for network issues, configuration management and communications interconnection, addressing, and multi-protocol routing and network management.
* Advises and consults with government staff, agencies and Contractor representatives involved with LAN/WAN design, network implementation and network management to ensure the LAN/WAN adequately supports the MHS mission and provides optimal performance. Interfaces with and leads Network Specialists and internal or external organizations to resolve LAN/WAN issues.
* Resolves technical issues associated with network and routing protocols at all levels of the OSI model through the use of diagnostics and network administration tools such as Hewlett Packard (HP) OpenView, Cisco Works and Tivoli. An understanding of Management Information Blocks (MIB) and MRTG to measure, plan and execute methodologies to ensure high performance levels and minimum downtime.
* Responsible for the increasing levels of LAN/WAN security in maintaining the LAN - WAN barrier systems responsible for preventing unauthorized access to MTF systems. In order to meet these requirements, the Senior Network Engineer must be capable of establishing and configuring network firewalls, VPN devices and IDSs.
* Provides recommendations to personnel in the field by making either a change to network level operations or an enhancement to the network (tuning or upgrade).
* Studies vendor products to determine which components and configurations best meet the requirements of DoD and MTFs. Establishes and implements LAN/WAN procedures and standards to ensure compliance with DoD and Regional Command objectives and policies.
* Communicates with key customers on the status of all network support requests.
Beyond network design and implementation, the engineer continuously evaluates and resolves complex technical issues associated with network and routing protocols at all levels of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model through the use of diagnostics and network administration tools. Provides proactive input on policies and issues related to standardization as well as develop and write policies and procedures that identify best practice solutions necessary for operations in support of the LAN/WAN. Defines and establishes minimum standards related to LAN/WAN access and its impact on overall network operations. Leads/participates on other projects and support as the need arises.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Sciences, Engineering, or related technical discipline, and 10years of directly related experience.
* Solid experience and expertise in Windows networks, Cisco Systems, and HP Openview.
* Must have a clear understanding of TCP/IP, XDM, HTTP, SHTTP, SMTP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP, Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND), EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, Point to Point Protocol (PPP), High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC), V.35, RS-449 and knowledge of the 803.2, 802.3, 802.5, 802.10, 802.11, 802.3u and 802.3z communications and Internet standards is required.
* Additionally, the candidate must demonstrate knowledge of synchronous and asynchronous communications, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, FDDI, ATM, ISDN, microwave and satellite communications. Experience with various Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR), cable testers, network sniffers and EIA/TIA cable standards and specifications are also required.
* Possess experience in routed, switched and shared LAN environments that operate such items as Microsoft Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Active Directory, UNIX and OpenVMS and employ routers, switches, and terminal servers as well as various local and long-haul ISDN, T1, T3, satellite and ATM WAN connectivity that employs Codex and PairGain CSU/DSUs.
* Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) are required; Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) is desired.
* MUST be a U.S. Citizen able to pass/maintain DoD clearance - ACTIVE SECRET is strongly preferred.
* Automated Data Processing (ADP) sensitivity Level I determination and a "SECRET" security level designation is required for this position.
* Requires superior verbal and written communication skills; must be able to communicate effectively with a broad audience to include Government officials, medical professionals and highly specialized technical personnel.
* Experience with DoD Information Systems is required / DoD Health Care systems experiencepreferred.