Senior Network Engineer 8/27/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Senior Engineer sets direction for systems, networks, user services and vendor development efforts:
Defines the direction for the organization, standards, and tests systems and hardware to ensure interoperability and validates features and functions. Analyzes complex local and wide area network systems and/or customer network environment, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges and other devices. Resolves difficult interoperability problems to obtain operation across all platforms. Configures systems to user environments. Supports acquisition and implementation of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services. Regarded as a subject matter expert and may act as a technical project leader or provide work leadership for lower level employees. Excludes those with full supervisory responsibilities.
Applies advanced engineering and network principles, theories, concepts and technologies to solve unusually complex problems and issues. Leads the development, evaluation and implementation of new and innovative principles, processes and applications. Exercises considerable latitude in decision-making under limited consultative direction toward predetermined long-range targets. Analyzes complex local and wide area network systems and/or customer network environment, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges and other devices. Resolves difficult interoperability problems to obtain operation across all platforms. Configures systems to user environments. Supports acquisition and implementation of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services. Regarded as subject matter expert applied research, development, and design of new products. Acts as primary consultant to leadership detailing the technical requirements and specifications necessary to obtain solutions. May act as a technical project leader or provide work leadership for lower level employees. Excludes those with full supervisory responsibilities. Requires limited direction and guidance with most tasks. Provide IP Telephony and data support for the CenturyLink CUSTOMERS' contracts. Includes data and voice infrastructure design, installation and maintenance for new and current installations.
* Provide primary engineering design and configuration for data systems in line with CUSTOMERS' goals and requirements
* Evaluate new technical requirements for compatibility with deployed system design
* Evaluate new products for compatibility and applicability to the CUSTOMERS' network.
* Maintain current knowledge base regarding complex routing, switching, and voice design and configuration for Cisco, Juniper, and Adtran route switch products.
* Provide high-level technical & engineering support for router and switch configurations, troubleshooting, and service restoration along with an understanding of VoIP and Wireless technologies.
* Troubleshoot and resolve complex issues
* Provide high-level off-hours support on a rotating basis with other on-site engineers
* Develop and oversee subordinate level technical methods, procedures, and assist with complex technical solution designs. Develop & document process flows.
* Monitor and analyze performance across the organization's Voice Network and underlying LANs, WANs, IPT, and wireless deployments.
* Identify capacity and performance issues for communications traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of communications systems.
* Conduct testing of disaster recovery plans as it pertains to communication equipment to detect faults, and minimize malfunctions.
* Maintain network monitoring applications, equipment and utilities as needed.
* Create and maintain network documentation and reports as required
* Act as liaison between CUSTOMERS' and other network vendors (e.g. Cisco, Juniper & Adtran) on high-level support issues.
* Provide direct interface with other CenturyLink departments in support of the CUSTOMERS' network
* Minimum 6Years experience
* Bachelors Degree, or equivalent experience in Technology, or Business related Field.
* 4+ Years with a Masters Degree
* Must be a internetworking (routing & switching / Service Provider) PROTOCOL EXPERT across vendors
* Must be an expert at troubleshooting methodologies in the context of large scale complex networks
* MPLS installation and troubleshooting expert
* Experience on Cisco ASR 9K and 1K, all ISR G2 Routers
* Experience on Cisco Layer 3 Switches Nexus and Catalyst
* Network Routing/Switching and BGP/OSPF Subject Matter Expert
* Must be proficient at all vendor's documentation to research issue not trained on
5-7 YEARS CURRENT HANDS ON EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING:
* Cisco, etc Layer 2 must be able to translate technical terms and concepts to non-technical entities.
* B.S. or equivalent experience in technology or business related field
* Valid Driver's License
* Must be available 24/7 for network outages and maintenance window work.
* Strong communication (oral and written), customer service, organizational and multi-tasking skills
* Experience with project management.
* Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
* Highly self motivated and directed.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
* Ability to work with little supervision