Senior Product Development Engineer Fluid/Thermodynamics
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 11/1/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONABOUT OUR COMPANY:
FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ: FCEL) is a global leader positioned at the forefront of the cleantech industry with over 300 megawatts of ultra-clean distributed power generation capacity installed or in backlog. Our power generation solutions equip customers such as utilities, industrial operations, universities, municipal water treatment facilities, government installations and more, with continuous electricity where the power is needed, including on-site applications and electric grid support. Benefits include the virtual absence of pollutants and enhanced energy resiliency delivered in an affordable solution.
The Company s power plants have generated more than 5.0 billion kilowatt hours of electric power at more than 50 locations on three continents using a variety of fuels including clean natural gas and renewable biogas from wastewater treatment and food processing.
We are searching for a highly motivated, forward-thinking energy technology enthusiast with experience in the energy industry to join the Module Engineering group of FuelCell Energy where you will be responsible for developing and optimizing commercial fuel cell and module components and systems.
* Work scope is divided into three general areas:
* Product development with CFD - Develop new and improved high temperature (molten carbonate) fuel cell system components / sub-systems.
* Exploratory CFD analysis, root cause analysis, and related flow & performance testing - Develop deeper understanding of fuel cell system operation using analysis tools and test/field data to drive our fuel cell systems to the next generation.
* Knowledge sharing and best practice refinement - Act as module group subject matter expert in CFD, modeling of reacting flows and optimization tools. Establish CFD best practices within the design team. Provide mentoring to others and peer review their analyses.
* Performs Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations and/or hand calculations, as well as designed flow experiments. CFD modeling will include heat transfer, fluid/structural coupled modeling in cooperation with our structural engineers, combustion modeling, and fuel cell reaction modeling.
* Plans and oversees validation testing on new and modified designs.
* Refines and exercises CFD models with User Defined Functions (UDFs) to help understand fundamental fuel cell behavior and validate the models with test data.
* Designs experiments and guides flow testing to complement/verify CFD models.
* Prepares and presents reports of findings according to the Company s Design Process (similar to DFSS and APQP tools).
* Works with manufacturing to ensure current design intents are realized in the final product.
* Updates design documentation.
* Serves as a key support member on cross-functional teams that include the Engineering, Quality, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Service, and Direct Fuel Cell Technology groups.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: BS degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, MS Preferred.
Experience: 10+ years of relevant commercial work experience is required.
* Extensive experience with CFD modeling and analysis (Fluent or equivalent).
* Experience with reacting flows and/or combustion kinetics modeling experience a strong plus.
* Experience applying fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics principles to create integrated mechanical designs/systems.
* Demonstrated hands-on testing and product launch / validation experience.
* Solid modeling experience needed to build and refine models (Inventor Preferred, SolidWorks applicable).
Preferred supplemental experience:
* Experience with materials, gas flows, and equipment at high temperature (~1000F) preferred.
* Experience in field of batteries, fuel cells, or chemical reactor mechanical design
* Statistical knowledge (e.g. Six Sigma, DoE)
* Strong mechanical aptitude with hands-on experience
* FMEA, burner design, electrochemical/chemical plant design
* Practical manufacturing / manufacturability experience on welded sheet metal fabrications
* FEA experience (SolidWorks Simulation, ANSYS, or equivalent)
* Experience with design optimization software (e.g. HEEDs, ANSYS Design Explorer)
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
* Requires the ability to work in a laboratory and manufacturing environment, and work standing at a work station using laboratory equipment.
* Must be able to move from area to area or room to room during testing.
* Be able to run or review experiments on laboratory equipment described in the job scope, including but not limited to working around laboratory equipment and chemicals, working with both hands simultaneously, use a high level of visual acuity to run tests and read test results.
* Able to visually distinguish colors.
* Able to climb 15 foot ladders on occasion.
* Able to wear required personal protective equipment in laboratory areas as required, such as safety glasses, safety shoes, clothing or gloves that provide appropriate protection.
* Sedentary work includes writing documentation and working at a computer, utilizing a keyboard and mouse.
* Possible domestic and international travel.
We offer a competitive compensation package as well as comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, company-paid life/disability insurance, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase plan and generous paid leave.
FuelCell Energy, Inc. is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Employment with FCE is subject to pre-employment drug-screen and background investigation.
No agency submissions please. Resumes submitted to any FuelCell Energy employee without a current, signed and valid contract in place with the FuelCell Energy Recruiting team for this position will become the property of FuelCell Energy and no search fees will be paid.
FuelCell Energy, Inc. is committed to ensuring that its application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all U.S. job seekers, including individuals with disabilities.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please send an email with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by calling 203-205-2070. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.
NOTE: This dedicated phone line and email address are designed exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages left for this purpose will be acknowledged. A response to your request may take up to two business days.