Senior Project Engineer
Kitchell is an employee-owned company with a nearly 70-year history in general contracting, construction management, development, facilities management, engineering and architecture and myriad other services within the built environment. Our 850-plus employee owners manage projects from main offices in Arizona, California, Iowa, Texas and Latin America. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that fosters personal and professional growth through in-house education programs, formal and informal mentoring and cross-training opportunities. Kitchell encourages employee engagement through our formal profit-sharing plan, opportunity for enhanced ownership and by offering increasing responsibility through career advancement. We are consistently ranked among the top places to work, attributable to our tenured staff and outstanding benefits including health and life insurance, 401(k), college savings plans, business travel assistance and insurance, discounted auto and homeowners insurance, identity theft protection, rewards programs and much more.
We are seeking a Senior Project Engineer to maintain and processes project information in accordance with the procedures manual and owner contracts in order to satisfy contractual requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develops full understanding of the scope and interdependence of all contract documents and assists the project manager in ensuring compliance of all parties.
* Assists the project manager in the management of design professionals and the owner's decision-making process during the pre-construction phase.
* Particiaptes in the bid process and assists owner and project manager in recording and reviews of bids.
* Observes and records jobsite activity in accordance with required contractual frequency.
* Manages effective document control mechanisms for the project to ensure that work is performed in accordance with contract documents.
* Evaluates change order requests including design changes, specifications and drawing releases and reports status.
* Evaluates submittals of shop drawings, material data and samples and takes appropriate action based upon contract specifications.
* Reviews and processes as-built drawings to ensure that all changes during the course of construction are recorded.
* Reviews the project schedule and assists the project manager in the maintenance of it as requested.
* Manages the request for information process in order to facilitate the timely exchange of information between designer and contractor.
* Prepares purchase and work orders as directed by the project manager and or owner.
* Assists the project manager in the maintenance of effective cost control mechanisms for the project status and cost reports as requested.
* Participates in on-site value engineering studies to minimize costs.
* Establishes and maintains job chart of accounts files to accurately record costs of the project.
* Participates and/or chairs meetings, coordinates agendas, prepares minutes and follows up on action items.
* Manages and is accountable for scopes of work as determined by the project manager.
* Assists the project manager in the resolution of project issues in a manner that demostrates leadership and accountability.
* Completes project close out requirements in accordance with contract documents.
* Becomes familiar with safety requirements of the project and monitors compliance.
* Administers quality control program as outlined in the project procedures manual.
* Supports and participates in business development and marketing efforts as requested by the project manager.
* Assists the project manager in the training of interns, administrative and project engineer I and II positions.
* Proactively identifies, participates in and or accomplishes activities and goals that result in professional development.
* Utilizes safe work practices and follows directives, policies and procedures for assisting and maintaining a healthy and safe work environment.
* Maintains effective and professional relationships with owners, architects, engineers and contractors.
* Executes additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Skills and Requirements:
Knowledge of construction and engineering related processes, as well as industry practices . Knowledge of the roles and interdependence between the contractor, designer, owner and construction manager. Effective computer skills including proficient use of Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint software required, and project management (P6) and scheduling database (Prolog) software preferred. Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to build and maintain effective interpersonal relationships. Ability to read and comprehend technical drawings and blueprints. Ability to demonstrate the competencies of achieving results, initiative, teamwork and analytical thinking. Commitment to the values of Kitchell with attention to honesty and integrity, quality of work and customer satisfaction.
Degree, License and Certification Requirements:
Must have a bachelor degree in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Architecture or related from an accredited four-year university or college. Minimum 3-years position related work or internship experience in construction management or related field required.
This is a safety sensitive position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly work in an office and or construction environment. Conditions regularly include exposure to outdoor elements, hot/cold temperatures, wet conditions, noise, atmospheric
conditions and cramped quarters. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud. Must frequently travel and relocate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly sit, stand, walk, talk or hear and use hands to finger, feel and handle; frequently reach with hands and arms; occasionally climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must frequently lift and or move 10 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
Kitchell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status..