Senior Route / Switch Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Wake Forest, NC
JOB DESCRIPTIONSENIOR NETWORK ENGINEER / ROUTING & SECURITY
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provide Routing & switching support to CenturyLink contracted customer base. Includes break/fix support, infrastructure design, installation and life-cycle maintenance for new and current installations.
* Provide primary engineering design and configuration for complex data systems to meet with customer's goals and requirements
* Act as technical lead for Routing & Switching network installation & upgrade projects.
* Evaluate new technical requirements for compatibility with deployed system designs.
* Evaluate new products for compatibility and applicability to existing network support portfolio.
* Maintains technical knowledge base regarding complex routing & Switching design and configuration of installed equipment.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Provide high-level technical & engineering support for configurations, troubleshooting, and service restoration along with an understanding of switching & routing technologies related to trouble shooting efforts.
* Troubleshoots and resolves complex Routing & Switching issues.
* Provides high-level off-hours (on-call) support on a rotating basis with other on-site engineering staff.
* Develop and oversee subordinate level technical methods, procedures, and assist with complex technical solution designs.
* Develops & documents process flows.
* Monitor and analyze performance across customer's data network and underlying LANs, WANs, and wireless deployments.
* Identify capacity and performance issues for communications traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of communications systems.
* Conduct testing of disaster recovery plans as it pertains to communication equipment to detect faults, and minimize malfunctions.
* Create and maintain methods of procedure, requirednetwork documentation and reports as needed.
* Act as liaison between the customer and othernetwork vendors (e.g. Cisco & Juniper) on high-level or escalated support issues.
* Provide direct interface with other CenturyLink departments in support of the customer's network issues and projects.
OTHER EXPERIENCE & JOB REQUIREMENTS:
* Layer 2 & 3 switch, router, firewalls, configuration and management experience.
* System configuration and management, including routers, switches, and related hardware.
* Programming and management isolation of network outage causes and service restorations including understanding fiber optic characteristics.
* Isolation of network outage causes and service restorations including understanding characteristics.
* Demonstrate direct customer interaction through exceptional communication skills, both written must be able to translate technical terms and concepts to non-technical entities.
* Excellent attitude and work ethic.
* Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work collaboratively with a large technical support team is a must!
* Must be available 24/7 for network outages and maintenance window work in on-call rotational basis.
MINIMUM CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
* Cisco CCNP/ Network Support Subject Matter Expert
* Minimum 6+ Years hands-on experience with routing & switching technologies, or 4+ Years with a Masters Degree.
* Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience in technology, or business related field preferred.
* Solid project management skills.
* Highly self motivated and directed.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
OTHER PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE & CERTIFICATION:
* Cisco ASR & Nexus experience
* Juniper / JNCDA-Junos
* Adtran routing & switching experience
* Experience with Solarwinds NPM & NCM tools
* Prior Tier II / III helpdesk support experience is a plus