Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist Diagnostics R&D
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONZoetis is a global animal health company dedicated to supporting customers and their businesses in ever better ways. Building on 60 years of experience, we deliver quality medicines and vaccines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services. We are working every day to better understand and address the real-world challenges faced by those who raise and care for animals in ways they find truly relevant.
Our name, Zoetis (z -EH-tis), has its root in zo, familiar in words such as zoo and zoology and derived from zoetic, meaning pertaining to life. It signals our company's dedication to supporting the veterinarians and livestock producers everywhere who raise and care for the farm and companion animals on which we all depend.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist Diagnostics R&D
As a Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist you will develop ELISA and lateral flow based diagnostic products from concept to commercialization. This will include the identification of new product ideas or technologies; conducting feasibility, optimization and verification studies; as well as method and product transfer to manufacturing, followed by field study validation and support of regulatory submission.
Laboratory work may include 96-well assay development (ELISA etc), cell biology, protein purification and characterization methods, cell and tissue culture, as well as automated and workstation screening equipment. You are also expected to provide hands-on technical assistance to more junior scientists in these areas. Outstanding laboratory safety awareness, rigid aseptic technique and notebook documentation are a prerequisite.
You will lead or participate in several cross-functional diagnostics project teams and serve on other Zoetis teams as a diagnostics subject matter expert. As such, you will remain current on emerging technologies and have good interpersonal, as well as oral and written communication skills.
Self-motivation, ability to work independently, outstanding problem solving skills, and strong teamwork skills are therefore essential to be successful in this role.
* Proposes new and novel analyte candidates to management
* Develops and validates regulated ELISA and lateral flow-based diagnostic products to meet business needs
* Successfully multi-tasks several product development projects
* Transfers developed products to manufacturing
* Serves as cross-functional Project Team Lead from Discovery to Market Launch
* Drafts product development related documentation including Development Study Reports, Outlines of Production, transfer documents as well as field study protocols and reports
* Leads the design, execution and coordination of Field Studies
* Assists with the prioritization of research projects
* Utilizes protein purification and characterization methods
* Mentors and assists with personnel training and project assignments
* Serves as a leader in diagnostic development by remaining current with emerging technologies through scientific literature and self-directed study
* Maintains accurate documentation of experimental methods and prepares procedures, presentations and reports
* Manages and conducts feasibility and optimization studies
* Assists with the design of cross functional studies and the leveraging of VMRD resources
* Manages the transfer of new and/or revised methods
* Assists with the preparation and sharing of data to influence experimental direction
* Serves as an expert diagnostics research representative on project teams
* Establishes and maintains milestones and reports
* Delivers on aggressive project timelines
* Uses statistical expertise to analyze data
* Evaluates cost considerations of manufacturing new diagnostic products
MINIMUM SKILLS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES:
* BS/BA in microbiology/biochemistry or related discipline with a minimum of 7 years of demonstrated work experience, including 3 years of assay development experience; or MS or PhD with minimum of 3 years of experience.
* Demonstrated expertise in ELISA and lateral flow assay development, with a solid scientific understanding of the diagnostics area at large.
* Working knowledge of regulatory guidelines, as they apply to animal health diagnostics, is also required. Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
* Outstanding problem solving and excellent experimental design skills are essential for the successful candidate.
DESIRABLE SKILLS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES:
* A proven track record of developing and commercializing regulated diagnostic products.
* Demonstrated experience in antigen scale-up, protein expression, purification and down-stream processing.
* A thorough understanding of regulatory considerations.
* Supervisory and manufacturing experiences.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact.