Senior Software Engineer 9/2/2016
The Advisory Board Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Title:
Senior Software Engineer
Technology and Engineering
Royall & Company
Share | |Email this job
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER *LIR
Royall & Company
Education Advisory Board
WHAT YOU\'LL BE DOING:
- Work with development managers, product managers and other stakeholders to get clarification on business requirements and then implement solutions including code development and database design
- Ensure high-quality solutions by implementing unit tests and supporting the creation and design of integration, load and user acceptance tests
- Support operations by identifying, researching and resolving performance and production issues
- Aid in the development of solutions that support consistent information architecture, taxonomies, visual standards, interaction patterns, and use cases across multiple applications
- Review designs, document technical specifications, and assist in providing development estimates for the implementation of features/fixes in accordance with Agile Development best practices
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science or related field or 5 years' equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of professional Java development experience
- 3+ years of experience working with relational databases
- 3+ years of professional work experience with HTML5 and Web Technologies
- Experience with NoSQL (Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Experience with messaging protocols (JMS)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Basic knowledge of SQL
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- UNIX shell and network expertise
- Experience developing in a server side web development programming language
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with version control systems (SVN, Git)
- Knowledge of multiple languages/alternative frameworks and ability/desire to learn new technologies
- Ability to communicate with business and technical teams both orally and written
- Goal oriented team player
- Strong work ethic and commitment to continuous improvement
- Attention to detail
ABOUT EDUCATION ADVISORY BOARD
EAB is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,100+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.eab.com.
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education
OUR CULTURE & VALUES:
We think Forbes said it best: Making the world a better place is what The Advisory Board Company is all about. We have a unique culture where employees are told to avoid after work emails, encouraged to take 10 hours per month of paid leave for community service, and are expected to add surplus value in every interaction with a member or colleague.
Over the past thirty years, we have developed a distinctive corporate culture based on our values and principles. We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
PERKS (A FEW OF MANY):
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
LEARN ABOUT US
CONNECT WITH US
Community Impact Twitter
The Advisory Board Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.