Chemical Hygiene Senior Specialist - EH&S
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 1/13/2017
Gilead Sciences, Inc
Foster City, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONSPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
The EH&S Chemical Hygiene Senior Specialist will be responsible for identifying, creating, and managing various safety programs that meet or exceed regulatory compliance and customer service expectations associated with elaboration and maintenance of the Chemical Hygiene program at Gilead Foster City and Fremont locations. At the Fremont site, the role will support a broader scope of EH&S safety programs and responsibilities including environmental, permitting and regulatory agency interactions to ensure site compliance.
These responsibilities will be accomplished using an appropriate balance of independent and collaborative efforts among EH&S and Facilities team members along with customer group representatives or safety committees. The Senior Specialist will identify and solve problems of routine to challenging complexity by combining critical analysis and practical experience in a variety of straightforward situations with minimal direct supervision.
They will demonstrate excellent documentation of all necessary program elements, including training program development as needed, and will possess excellent communication and customer service skills that are essential to maintain regular and effective interactions among customer groups across the organization to ensure the successful implementation and ongoing success of EH&S programs and directives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB FUNCTIONS
* Use of experience and/or knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry to develop chemical management programs for OSHA defined particularly hazardous materials (22 CFR 1910.1450),create an effective and practical chemical segregation strategy to be utilized for organization of inventory in chemical stockrooms, work effectively with customer groups via leadership in laboratory safety committee meetings
* Management of contracted labor resources in the execution of daily tasks to expected service levels; Identification, development and tracking of service level metrics to drive continuing improvement and efficiency of processes and procedures.
* Management of hazardous and biohazardous waste streams and disposal in compliance with all appropriate federal, state and local regulatory requirements, including maintenance and submission of all required environmental permitting.
* Perform review of new materials, equipment or processes to identify and implement proper controls for mitigation of employee safety risks prior to initial use in the laboratory environment
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* 6+ years of experience in an EHS associated position (pharma/biotech experience strongly preferred) and a technical/practical knowledge of EH&S regulations, codes and guidelines Knowledge and experience with all appropriate CalOSHA, DOT, EPA, and NRC regulation and policies.
* Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and manage a comprehensive scope of EHS safety programs and processes. Manage time and work on projects of moderate to challenging complexity. Prepare and adhere to project and department budgets. Recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards. Perform with excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Bachelor or Master of Science degree in a relevant field (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Science, or another EHS related degree).
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, view the EEO is the Law poster at :