Senior Staff Attorney - Labor Relations - Kohler, WI
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/24/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONSenior Staff Attorney - Labor Relations - Kohler, WI
Reporting to Senior Vice President-General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, this position will be responsible for employment law matters, ongoing labor management resolutions, collective bargaining and labor contract administration, labor and employment policy development and training, and relationship development with internal and external stakeholders on a global basis. Global travel may be required.
* Provides legal support to the Human Resources Department, local management and supervisors on handling employment law and labor relations matters, including employment contracts, employee counseling, discipline, grievance, contract compliance, collective bargaining, arbitration hearings and discrimination claims. Recommends and helps implement appropriate actions, both on the union and non-union level.
* Develops and achieves management concurrence, and champions short-term and long-term labor relations strategies and policies for the Company on a global basis. Builds good working relationships with union leadership, stewards, line managers, business unit leaders and Human Resources staff.
* Monitors Labor Relations trends, developments, and cases reporting highlights to Sr VP-General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Sr. VP - Human Resources, HR, operating units and corporate departments as appropriate. Also monitors the Company's Labor Relations performance and provides feedback SR VP-General Counsel & Corporate Secretary.
* Researches, evaluates and mediates various labor and employment issues that may or do result in employment litigation. Responsibilities may include preparation of pre-trial documents, witness depositions, and other related activities.
* Acts as first chair or assists another Sr. Staff Attorney or local General Manager in negotiating domestic and international labor contracts.
* Creates and subsequently monitors union avoidance plans at non-Union represented facilities. Works with other countries in relationship to their cultural norms regarding positions of labor unions.
* Prepares, directs and conducts training programs on Labor Relations matters; for example, labor law, collective bargaining administration, discipline, investigative techniques and grievance and arbitration preparation. Enhances organization's Labor Relations competence by leveraging learning and development opportunities by working with the Organizational Capabilities COE as well as the Affirmative Action function.
* Provides expert review on policies, procedures and specific cases which are impacted by legislation such as AAP, ERISA, FMLA, ADA, FLSA, OSHA, state Worker's Compensation and Employment discrimination.
* Represents the company's interests in claims and proceedings involving union organizing, unfair labor practice, unemployment compensation, worker's compensation, wage and hour, and discrimination issues.
Qualified candidates must hold a J.D. degree and a passion for the labor relations and employment fields.
Eight or more years experience required, preferably with in house legal experience.
Arbitration or trial experience a plus.
Must possess exceptional analytical ability and advocacy skills; excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills; and the ability to drive execution in a team environment.
Why Work at Kohler Co.?
Kohler Co.'s mission is to contribute to a higher level of gracious living for those who are touched by our products and services. We understand that it takes investment in our associates' development to make that happen. So, we offer ongoing investment in each individual's personal development and the opportunity to collaborate with others across functions and roles at Kohler.
In addition to the investment in your development, Kohler offers a benefits package including a competitive salary, health, vision, dental, 401(k) with company matching, and more!
Beyond the competitive benefits and compensation, Kohler proudly offers a rich history, steeped in creativity and a commitment to our associates and communities. We invite you to learn more about our culture and company at www.kohler.com .
It is Kohler's policy to recruit, hire, and promote qualified personnel in all job classifications without regard to race, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, disability or veteran status. If, as an individual with a disability, you need reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com . Kohler Co. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.