Senior State Tax Analyst 9/3/2016
Florham Park, NJ
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team--especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015.
Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future! Where the Chemistry Happens
THE JOB EXISTS TO ENSURE THAT BASF AND ITS AFFILIATES ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL STATE TAXING JURISDICTIONS. THE JOB IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TIMELY AND ACCURATE FILING OF MORE THAN 200 TAX RETURNS AND THE REMITTANCE OF MORE THAN $20M IN STATE INCOME TAXES. THE JOB REQUIRES EXPERTISE IN INCOME TAX LAW IN OVER 40 STATES, WITH THE ABILITY TO SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THE AMOUNT OF TAX LIABILITY AS LEGALLY DETERMINED.
* Tax Return Analysis and Compliance - Responsible for managing income tax compliance calendar and ensuring timely and accurate filings of state and local income tax returns and quarterly estimates. Identify opportunities and risks and make recommendations to manage tax liability.
* Other State Tax Analysis and Compliance -Prepare and review timely and accurate filings for other state tax types.
* State Tax Inquiries and Audit Defense - Act as state tax expert for internal and external inquiries. Respond to inquiries from state tax jurisdictions and defend tax strategies and tax positions claimed.
* Research and Legislative Analysis - Conduct research and analysis to develop strategies of tax filing positions. Keep current on state legislative changes and prepare analysis to anticipate the future tax impact on the Company.
* Accounting for Taxes - Responsible for quarterly and annual income tax provision through preparation of state current and deferred tax analysis. Primary state tax contact for NTF (Accounting).
* Other Special Projects - Support key regional initiatives and projects.
BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT (MARKET/EXTERNAL CONDITIONS/CHALLENGES THE JOB FACES ON A REGULAR BASIS):
* The job requires an experienced, highly motivated, self-starter who has an attention to detail, yet is able to manage through the myriad of data to efficiently comply with taxing jurisdictions.
* Tax laws are constantly evolving and states continue to aggressively seek revenue from taxpayers, requiring more emphasis on being proactive.
* The number of tax filings and the complexity as well as the constraints to meet constant filing deadlines are a major challenge.
* Bachelor's Degree is required. A concentration in Accounting, Finance, or Economics is a plus.
* An advanced degree(s), (M.B.A., M.S. in Taxation) or certification (C.P.A.) is _PREFERRED_
* Must have at least 5 years of experience with a major corporation or with a public accounting firm. Strong state and local income tax background is essential.
* Microsoft Tools - Strong skillset in Excel
* Must have tax compliance software experience (Vertex /Corptax)
* ERP experience desired
* Solid understanding of state and local income tax laws and regulations
* Possess an understanding of tax credits and other state taxes
* Self-motivated, with strong interpersonal, team and partnering skills
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
* Use discretion in handling confidential and sensitive tax information
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY STATUS, PROTECTED VETERAN STATUS, OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC PROTECTED BY LAW.