Senior Substation Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 11/5/2016
Saint Paul, MN
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
* Responsible for technical delivery of substation engineering design projects under the direction of Sr. team leaders.
* You will prepare construction drawings and documents for high voltage substation projects meeting client standards and requirements.
* Direct/lead small project teams to execute detailed design of medium to extra high voltage electric transmission and distribution substations
* Prepare and/or update one line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics and wiring diagrams, physical layouts, electrical elevations, plans (foundation, grounding, and raceway), and bills of materials including selection and specifications for non-standard equipment and associated calculations to support system design.
* Responsible for providing weekly updates to Sr. team leaders and/or project managers on milestone progress, estimated completion dates including percent completion of activities and supporting information to monitor project progress.
* Support technical response and provide input on hourly estimates for proposal development to include performing site visits for scoping.
* Able to fulfill assignments that require independent judgment and evaluation.
* Apply engineering design principles and practices including formulas.
* Able to work with minimal supervision while completing assignments that require independent judgement and evaluation.
* Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced designers and engineers.
* Travel to client sites as needed. (less than 25% travel is anticipated)
* Eight (8) or more years of experience in the high voltage substation design field.
* Power Systems Engineering Background.
* Documented direct experience with high voltage substation design (15kV through 500kV) activities such as preparing one line diagrams, three line diagrams, AC/DC schematics and wiring diagrams, physical layouts, electrical elevations, plans (foundation, grounding, and raceway), and bills of materials including selection of non-standard equipment, writing equipment specifications, and assisting with procurement, etc.
* Knowledge of substation physical equipment
* Knowledge of electrical and civil engineering practices and principles applied to substation design and construction
* Knowledge of Protection and Controls design
* Capable of developing detailed construction documents and drawings based on concepts, verbal direction and/or sketches.
* Ability to interpret and apply standards including IEEE, IEC, NESC, and client standards.
* Experience with managing documents for large construction projects.
* Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others (QA/QC)
* Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple assignments under budget and time constraints.
* Demonstrated managerial and leadership skills leading small project teams
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to work and communicate effectively with team members, clients and management teams across different geographical locations and time zones. Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
* Demonstrated technical writing and reporting skills.
* PE licensure in at least 1 state with ability to obtain licensure in additional states
* Proficiency with MS Office applications.
* Degree Required: 4 year ABET accredited BSEE or
Valued but not required skills and experience:
* NCEES Records
* SCADA applications
* Substation Grounding Analysis to include proficiency with CDEGS a plus
* Proficiency in performing relay settings calculations and studies a plus
* Proficiency with SKM, CAPE, or Aspen a plus
* Proficiency with CAD software (Microstation and AutoCAD)
* Project scheduling
* Financial management (Project budgets)
* Consulting experience
* Construction experience
* Substation inspection and documentation experience to include quality control during construction
* Experience with the power system calculations (AC panel sizing, DC panel and battery sizing, Voltage Drop, Cable Sizing, Arrester Selection)