Senior Technical Writer
JOB TITLE: SENIOR TECHNICAL WRITER
LOCATION: ST. LOUIS, MO
DURATION: 12 MONTHS
MAJOR DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Stand-up and maintain a technical writing infrastructure for our team to build upon
* Work with internal staff to obtain in-depth understanding of products and the documentation needs
* Ride along with technicians to understand the function and use cases for the equipment
* Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities
* Standardize content across platforms and media
* Produce consistently high-quality, standardized documentation appropriate for its intended audience
* Generate simplified images for technical documents from original detailed engineering drawings and 3D CAD assemblies.
* Write clear and concise content for assembly guides, service manuals, and online help
* Develop user guides, troubleshooting guides, retrofit procedures, training materials, etc.
* Revise existing documents throughout the product's life cycle and publish modifications
* Create and present tutorial material as necessary to help end-users use the systems, etc.
* Organize documentation produced by other team members such as technicians, support staff, designers, etc.
* Identify new ways to improve product documentation in a low-volume, fast-paced, highly diverse production environment where annual production of a given machine design may range from one to one hundred.
* Suggest improvements needed to design and/or engineering drawings to promote usability and support as they become apparent during documentation efforts.
* Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization's goals.
* 5+ years of relevant working experience
* Strong drive and self-motivation to work in the fast-paced and challenging environment of new product development.
* Familiarity with automated instrumentation/equipment for laboratory, production, and/or agricultural field environments
* A high degree of organization and efficiency, customer focus, and innovative problem solving skills.
* Experience in contributing to multiple concurrent projects with shifting priorities
* Ability to interpret mechanical, pneumatics, hydraulics, and electrical drawings
* Excellent communication skills with an understanding of teamwork and with the ability to coordinate work with other staff members.
* Adept in delivering high quality documentation
* Convert complex technical concepts into easily understandable text and pictures.
* Experience defining and implementing from-scratch the infrastructure necessary to manage the full documentation life cycle for our product set, including but not limited to recommending best-of-breed tools, specifying and implementing policies and procedures, etc.
* Experience using automation to create product documentation that is pulled from several, varied sources
* Excellent writing proficiency in the English language
* Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
* Experience with Adobe tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign or similar
* Experience with 3D CAD tools such as SolidWorks or similar Desired
* Experience with Solidworks, specifically for capturing 3D pictures of machines
* Experience with agricultural equipment and practices
* Experience with documentation for international deployment (especially European)
* Experience in a technical service/support role is a plus
* Experience instituting an online knowledgebase or wiki
* 10 years of relevant experience
* Experience starting up a technical documentation infrastructure
* Strong mechanical aptitude and hands-on experience is strongly preferred.
* Experience with managing translation for international deployment.