Social Worker - Case Management
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 10/9/2016
St. Joseph Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY:
Under the direction of the Director and/or Manager of Case Management, coordinates patient' s care from pre-admission, through hospitalization, to post-discharge follow-up with emphasis on collaborative relationships with patients and families, clinical nurses, physicians, and other health team members to best meet the patient's physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. Assists patients and families in coping with problems resulting from severe or long-term illness, and with difficulties in recovery and rehabilitation. Interviews patients and families to obtain psycho-social history, assists patients in resolving environmental difficulties interfering with attainment of maximum benefits from medical care and conducts routine discharge planning. Maintains documentation according professional and department and facility standards. Directs patients to designated community agencies or resources, as necessary. Specifically, the Social Worker uses a problem solving process that includes assessment, problem identification, goal definition, plan development, evaluation and revision of the plan to achieve optimum patient outcomes.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
At least one year of experience that contributes to ability to provide social work services in an acute care hospital setting.
Demonstrates knowledge necessary to provide social assessments and discharge planning; identify and resolve barriers to discharge and to work with patients and families toward the required goal for health care and a safe discharge plan.
Demonstrates knowledge of resources for social and financial support and agencies and facilities that provide the appropriate level of care needed.
Current state license as a Social Worker required.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Knowledge of social work theories, therapies and techniques of casework processes, and principles of public welfare at a level normally acquired through completion of a Master's degree in Social Work with course work in Medical Social Work preferred from accredited Graduate School of Social Work (Bachelor's degree in Social Work or licensed BSW through the grandfathering process and/or work experience can be counted in lieu of a Master's degree).
* Interpersonal and communication skills necessary in order to obtain information from patients and families, counsel and interact effectively with patients, families and SJMC interdisciplinary team members.
* Ability to provide options for care, support patient/family choice of discharge options and facilities.
* Ability to remain calm and objective with challenging or uncooperative patients or families; ability to practice de-escalation in tense situations.
* Analytical skills necessary in order to assess patient's needs develop associated discharge planning and provide sound advice and guidance.
* Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to fifty percent of work time when interviewing patients, providing therapy, preparing discharge plans.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED
Job: Social Worker
Primary Location: Texas-Houston
Organization: St. Joseph Medical Center
Education Level: Master's Degree
Employee Status: Full Time Benefit Eligible 36-40 hrs/wk
Work Schedule: Days
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled