Software Design Intern - Summer 2017
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2016
END DATE 11/18/2016
Palo Alto, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONROLE SUMMARY:
Software Designers at IDEO leverage a deep understanding of software to design and deliver innovative solutions that address core user needs. They are creative problem solvers who often employ unorthodox yet ingenious ways to push design.
IDEO is seeking Software Design interns for the summer of 2017. The internship will last approximately 3-6 months and will be based in our Palo Alto location.
ONCE YOU ARE HERE YOU WILL:
* Go out in the field to build empathy for users' needs first-hand through things like watching a surgical procedure, exploring the house of a hoarder, or flying a flight simulator
* Debrief and discuss user feedback with cross-disciplinary teams in order to synthesize research into meaningful design iterations
* Work with a diverse set of stakeholders (coworkers, clients and mentors) to communicate complex concepts and complete projects
* Share techniques and approaches with other designers from the software design discipline to interaction design, and beyond
* Use software expertise to deliver great digital design, from live prototypes to an MVP of a product concept
Recent examples of projects our software designers have worked on:
* Planned Parenthood's New Way Forward
* Designing the Future Kitchen
* A New Way to Vote for the People of Los Angeles
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR*
* Currently pursuing a MS in Computer Science or similar field; or equivalent experience
* Practical experience designing products that demonstrate strong product sense and a high level of empathy for the end user
* Technical depth in software with engineering experience on production applications
* Ability to learn new tools and languages quickly and do self-guided work
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills
WHAT GETS US EXCITED:
We are particularly interested in candidates that have demonstrated interest in one or more of the following focus areas:
DIGITAL PRODUCT EXPERTISE
* Within one digital platform (ex. Web, iOS, Android, Embedded Hardware), fluency and understanding of the constraints and opportunities that affect design and product strategy
* Comfort in leveraging data within your design process, from analyzing quantitative data to prototyping data driven services
* The ability to synthesize compelling, human centered stories from complex data
* A strong depth within an area of emerging technology within software, such as Machine Learning, Computer Vision, or Graphics
* The ability to understand and humanize state-of-the-art technologies within software and articulate to colleagues the design opportunities that exist
Please share 3 projects that best represent your capabilities and interests. Please include links to your Github repos, blog and/or website.