Software Developer 9/8/2016
Consumer Goods / Miscellaneous Company
Grand Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Currently, we are seeking qualified candidates for a Software Developer opening to join our client's organization.
This is a newly created role as our client is at the planning stages for implementing a new ERP system. The Software developer will work initially as a key member of the firm providing the customer software and design service for the ERP platform and then take over after implementation the ongoing 1st and 2nd level support and development needs. The Software Developer writes custom web and back-end software and coordinates the integration of various third party software tools for production, sales, accounting, and transportation. Future development may include mobile applications.
* Write code to extend existing systems with new functionality
* Write automated unit and integration tests to show that software works as expected
* Create scripts, reports, utilities, and small applications to support the business
* Evaluate off-the-shelf software products for use by the organization
* Run experiments to find new ways to provide value to the organization through technology
* Triage, troubleshoot, and fix reported problems with production software systems
* Provide training and education to custom software users within the organization
* Manage small, internal development projects
* Provide regular project updates to stakeholders (schedule, budget, progress, etc.)
* Collaborate with the organization's development partners on managing larger projects
* Work closely with others within the organization to define scope, budget, timeframe, and approach for software projects
* Manage ongoing feature requests and bug reports in an organized manner
* Prioritize work on bugs/features to meet organization need
* This job currently has no direct supervisory responsibilities, however coordination with offsite third party support would be essential.
Required skills and education
* Bachelor's degree (BS) in Computer Science or equivalent
* Must have someexperience with modernweb development tools and practices.
* Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, or other server-side web frameworks
* Experience deploying software to Linux and/or Microsoft operating systems (ideally both)
* Must have some experience working with relational databases (Postgres, MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle, etc.)
* Able and willing to pick up and learn new languages and tools -- flexibility will be important in this role
* Experience with B2B EDI communications would be a plus