Software Engineer- Columbus, IN
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 2/11/2017
SGS North America
JOB DESCRIPTIONCOMPANY PROFILE
SGS Automotive Services N.A., a division of SGS Group based in Geneva Switzerland, provides commercial and statutory automotive related services to our clients in the US, Canada, and Mexico. SGS Automotive is a vehicle inspection company for the study, development and application of technologies for motor vehicle testing, diagnostics, repair, technician training, and information management. Coupled with developing and managing Inspection and Maintenance programs, SGS also provides a wide range of commercial automotive industry inspection services such as New Car, Off-Lease, certified pre-owned, auction, B2B online, and dealer testing, inspection, and certification services.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for supporting the existing infrastructure as well as developing new technologies.
* Reports to the Development Manager
* Design and create software solutions for SGS CyberMetrix on Linux systems using C/C++, and Qt.
* Define, design, and implement new software to solve identified business requirements, delivered to clients on-time and on budget.
* Investigate technical issues and develop original design solutions for existing software applications to meet changing user requirements.
* Collect and analyze user requirements, create technical designs, and write technical design documentation of proposed solutions.
* Create original software to address technical and functional requirements for client solutions.
* Work cooperatively with other team members responsible for other parts of large-scale enterprise software systems
* Identify opportunities to improve efficiency of business processes, and design & create software solutions to affect efficiencies identified.
* Investigate and identify root cause of application functionality, network communication, server-to-server software issues and design & implement corrective modifications to Client systems.
* Works within the approved timelines and schedule to accomplish multiple tasks, and to meet delivery deadlines and quality expectations.
* Provide assistance and advice to business users in the effective use of applications and information technology.
* Create test software consistent with automated testing procedures.
* Write technical specifications and documentation for the applications.
* Participate in weekly meetings with the Development team members to track progress and issues to be resolved, and report progress on a weekly basis to the Software Development Lead.
* Assist in the creation of the system design and functional specifications for all new development projects.
* Performs other duties as directed
* At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
* Strong understanding of the software development cycle, and of various software development methodologies including, but not limited to, Continuous Integration, Rapid Application Development, Waterfall methods.
* Experience in computer programming languages using C, C++ required.
* Able to work independently and efficiently to meet deadlines, while appropriately raising issues to management to prevent surprises.
* Must possess strong skills in Object Oriented design, code development.
* Strong business skills and is responsible for software development activities including reviewing requirements, designing and creating software solutions, creating and/or modifying systems code and functionality, testing, and debugging system software.
* A strong record of time management and problem solving skills.
* A self-starter who also demonstrates help-seeking and collegial behavior doesn t try to go it alone . Works cooperatively with other team members to provide the best group solution.
* Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
* A willingness to dive into new software environments, new technical issues and technologies.
* Experience in structured environment with increasing levels of responsibility and complexity.
* The ability to communicate and teach non-technical users a must.
* Excellent written and oral communications skills.
* Can demonstrate strong attention to detail.
* The ideal candidate must display excellent written and oral skills with demonstrated interpersonal and organization abilities.
* A candidate for this position must be able to work in a varied, fast paced environment. Flexibility and tolerance is a necessity.
* Candidate must be willing to travel occasionally to client or other site.
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES:
* Demonstrates strong commitment to SGS HSE Policies, Procedures, and Work Instructions by participating in safety meetings, completing required training, intervening in unsafe situations, refusing unsafe work, and complying fully with all applicable laws and regulations related to HSE.
* Responds appropriately to emergency situations and assists other staff members in maintaining readiness to respond to emergencies within the workplace.
* In accordance with the SGS HSE Management System requirements, disposes of, or directs the disposal of, waste generated as a part of daily work performed in a safe manner and in compliance with all waste transportation and disposal regulations and requirements.
* Reports all incidents (actual incidents and near misses) in accordance with the SGS Incident Reporting requirements.
* Uses all equipment (including safety equipment) in the manner intended and reports any damaged / lost equipment to supervisor.
* Maintain a safe and tidy worksite.
* Maintains awareness of hazards and proposes controls to supervisor, HSE Representatives or relevant client / site contact.
* Actively participates in incident investigations and risk assessments as deemed necessary by SGS management.
* Valid driving license
* Ability and willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice
* Reliable transportation