This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB TITLE: SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER
LOCATION: SEATTLE, WA
Amazon's Marketplace technology manages massive amounts of data through the online sales lifecycle, disrupting traditional notions of retail marketplace and connecting millions of businesses, big and small, to millions of Customers within the Amazon.com marketplace. The software built by the Marketplace Technology Team:
* Serves millions of sellers globally solving for complex local country regulations
* Integrates millions of nodes of product catalog data into Merchant Web Services and Seller Central
* Serves up unique product types, each with thousands of attributes subject to thousands of business constraints presented by globally regional complexity, millions of times per day while providing latencies so minimal that access appears to be local
* Ensures customer trust processing orders through secure and trusted payment services and delivering this data back to Sellers to complete the sales cycle.
* Allows sellers to fulfill hundreds of millions of orders per year, while ensuring a high quality customer experience.
Sellers on Amazon vary from individuals, who manually manage their businesses, to high-volume enterprises with IT staff that wish to develop real-time machine-to-machine software integration between their backend systems and Amazon. Amazon's Marketplace Technologies provide a secure and safe platform to enable commerce. The systems, applications and APIs that support Sellers on Amazon operate at massive scale, must be highly available, and work on increasingly diverse and distributed devices securely.
THE MARKETPLACE TECHNOLOGY GROUP CONSISTS OF 60 DEVELOPMENT TEAMS, OVER 500 SOFTWARE ENGINEERS, AND MORE THAN 300 PRODUCTION SERVICES. The Marketplace service fleet is one of Amazon's five largest (and most expensive), with over 40,000 hosts provisioned. These services have evolved over the past 15 years, and as our business has scaled at more than 40% YoY, the emphasis on efficient use of resources has not been our most important consideration. At our current scale, we have come to realize that even small optimizations will have significant benefit. We are looking for a senior engineer to lead this initiative, both to improve our existing services, and to improve the quality and efficiency of design practiced by engineers across this large organization for years to come.
Nothing is off-limits. This role has giant scope and your decisions will directly shape the future of Marketplace's technology stack. You will inspire our engineers to develop services and tools that help Amazon become more available, resilient to failure, operate efficiently and with low customer-perceived latency. You will be an autonomous seeker of truth that radically advocates on behalf of external customers.
In this role, you will:
* Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
* Design, architect, and improve major application software and user experience solutions on emerging platforms, Java, and Linux
* Be responsible for softwarearchitecture including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major routines and utilities
* Provide technical leadership in evaluating, understanding and integrating various software solutions
* Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
* Prepare technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation
* Assist in the career development of technical colleagues, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members
* Deliver high quality work on tight schedules
* Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills to help the team resolve issues under time pressure
* Have a strong bias for action with the right balance of analytical thinking
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader, builder and operator. He/she should have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. The leader needs to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. While constantly striving for simplicity, the senior engineer must demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
* Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field.
* 10+ years of softwareengineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale projects.
* Ability to work highly autonomously, and rapidly understand systemarchitecture, and propose improvements
* Broad knowledge of Java, Linux, SOA, operating system principles, and programming best practices.
* Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise systemarchitecture, and engineering best practices
* Experience mentoring/training an engineering community on complex technical issues
* Excellent judgment, organizational and problem solving skills
* Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field
* Experience with NoSQL databases, EC2, and other AWS services
* Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems