This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
University of Washington / UW Medicine
JOB DESCRIPTIONUW Medicine's IT Services department is looking for an outstanding SOFTWARE ENGINEER to join the team! Are you an experienced .NET developer who loves figuring out puzzles; like business problems that could be solved by the software/applications that you create Do you prefer to have a variety of activities in your daily workload other than just heads down coding Do you enjoy writing code that helps others do their job more effectively, constantly talk about how to make code more efficient, or come up with ideas on how to keep teams of developers working toward the same objectives Wouldn't it be nice for your work to have more meaning other than just products/e-commerce If this sounds like you to a tee, this may just be your dream job and we should definitely chat!
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
* Patients Are First focus
* Customer service mindset
* Interpersonal skills and teamwork
* Results-oriented attitude
* Adaptability and flexibility
WHAT ARE THE PERKS
* Medical insurance at reasonable rates with TEN plans to choose from!
* Dental Insurance at no cost to you OR your dependentsAND we have three plans for you to choose from!
* 10 paid holidays annually!
* 1 personal holiday every year!
* Generous amounts of vacation and sick leave that you can feel good about taking (more than 5 work weeks in your first year) !
* TWO Retirement plans to choose from - one even matches 100% of your contributions with immediate vesting!
* Voluntary Investment program to save more towards your retirement!
* Deferred Compensation program to save even MORE towards your retirement!
* Flexible Spending Account...Tax Exempt!
* Dependent Care Assistance program!
* On-site Childcare Centers!
* Long Term Disability insurance!
* Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance!
* U-PASS transportation program and discounted parkingPRE-TAX!
* Tuition Exemption program - at the UW (and other colleges around the state)!
* Housing resources and home buying options!
* Auto, home, renter, and boat group insurance!
* Valuable membership and merchandise discounts!
* Federal studentloan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program!
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING
In short, you'll work closely with other Software Engineers to design and develop new applications, manage the environments necessary to develop and deliver the software, and maintain the web platforms that host your applications. You'll help us focus every day on how we can be better. Our environment includes SharePoint and WordPress and we are responsible for websites from initial go-live to retirement.
And now for some of the "official" language:
The Software Engineer is responsible for design, development, and support of UW Medicine web technology platforms, infrastructure, software solutions, tools, applications, interfaces, and systems. Duties include all aspects of software and systems development lifecycle (SDLC): planning, analysis, design, implementation, and maintenance.
This position will be an active part of the web development team responsible for designing, developing and deploying new features for UW Medicine internal and public facing web sites. Functions will be performed in partnership with IT Services customer groups and internal IT staff including otherdevelopers, project managers and operational staff.
The Software Engineer must work with and reconcile the demands of a large and varied constituency of internal customers across UW Medicine - all within the context of a constrained financial environment. Additionally, this position must manage a large number of activities and multiple projects concurrently, and rely upon excellent organization, and interpersonal skills to ensure that initiatives are completed in a quality manner on time and within budget.
Web technologies is a rapidly changing technology space that requires a strong commitment to maintaining current skills. In addition to this personal learning commitment, the Software Engineer role has responsibility for helping the team stay current via presentations and knowledge sharing in team meetings, design reviews, lunch and learns, etc.
_Support and Enhance Production Systems (55%)_
* Support and maintain platforms, infrastructure and systems within the established service level agreement for the applicable system.
* Monitor platforms, infrastructure, and applications for optimal performance. Analyze issues and take appropriate corrective action if performance issues are identified.
* Create and maintain scripts to automate required operational activities.
* Contact system users to understand any reported issues or concerns with existing production systems.
* Determine whether reported issues are defects or requests for enhanced functionality.
* Design and implement appropriate fixes following established design/build standards and operational processes and procedures for the team.
* Architect and document a framework for web services and maintain that framework over time as existing applications evolve or new applications are created. The framework must specify the hosting platform, the hub that allows services to dynamically discover other services, and standard conventions that ensure services can inter-operate.
_Team Operational Improvements Projects (20%)_
* Use project management principles to plan, execute, and monitor operational efforts necessary to improve team operations. Operational efforts are projects that are not large enough to be managed via the PMO.
* Develop standards related to the work of the team.
* Develop or refine processes and/or workflows.
* Negotiate processes with other ITS teams.
* Define scope, develop work plans, track status, and provide regular reports on progress and any issues.
* Identify solutions when problems are encountered.
* Proactively identify any issues that might impact the on time delivery of the project and propose options to keep the project on schedule.
* Keep all project stakeholders informed of status.
* Collaborate appropriately with other team members to ensure broad knowledge to drive the project work and proper preparation for operational handoffs.
* Create or update operational documentation associated with the project work.
* Schedule and execute timely operational handoff at the close of a project.
_Document Production Systems (10%)_
* Create documentation of assigned production systems per established documentation standards.
* Maintain documentation over time as systems are enhanced.
_Develop Software (10%)_
* Estimate number of hours to build a solution based on the approved design.
* Build system based on approved designs.
* Report work against assigned tasks.
* Complete unit testing and notify QA of readiness for integrated testing.
* Resolve defects based on feedback from the QA analyst.
* Deploy solutions upon successful completion of testing
_Personal Development Activities (5%)_
* Participate in technical user groups and online forums to maintain current knowledge of web technologies and how they may be effectively used to solve business problems.
* Maintain awareness of web technology advances and participate in team activities to examine when and how new approaches can be applied to the work at UW Medicine.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE TABLE:_(minimum requirements)_
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field or equivalent combination of education/experience.
4+ years experience must include the following:
* 4+ years professional IT experience designing, maintaining, and optimizing web technologies.
* 4+ years professional IT experience designing, developing and maintaining web applications and/or web sites.
* 2+ years professional IT experience architecting web solutions.
* History of researching and resolving challenging and complex bugs.
* Demonstrated knowledge of relational database design and web-enabled