Specimen Processor Bench Supervisor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 11/24/2016
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The SPECIMEN PROCESSOR ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR supervises day-to-day activities in the veterinary diagnostic reference laboratory specimen processing (accessioning) department, performing laboratory analyses and tests to diagnose various pet and other animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment. Supervises staff, assigning work and evaluating results. Contributes to the development of operating policies and procedures.
WEEKLY SCHEDULE: This is a 3rd shift, night position: Monday-Friday 1am-10am
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Supervises day-to-day activities in a laboratory unit/group/area, performing laboratory analyses and tests to diagnose various pet and other animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment.
* Supervises staff, assigning work, monitoring activities and evaluating performance. Resolves escalated issues. Administers employment actions, provides coaching and guidance to staff and promotes staff training and development. Provides input to department policies and procedures.
* Leads work activities of the lab unit/group/area/department, planning and organizing work, providing for adequate staffing and resources and maintaining work on schedule so that ongoing customer satisfaction is maintained.
* Communicates with other related departments to coordinate work and resolve issues as needed.
* Contributes to maintenance of department diagnostic equipment and other technical resources. Coordinates with internal personnel, vendors and others as needed to resolve issues and maintain ongoing functionality.
* Prepares reports, presentations and other information summarizing work activities. Prepares various analyses as needed to highlight issues and resolve questions.
* Maintains knowledge of changes and developments in the industry affecting work activities. May participate in outside industry groups and forums related to business activities.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Adheres to and models the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
* Bachelors Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience required, preferably in Science-related field.
* Typically 5-7 years related work experience, with in-depth experience in the area(s) supervised.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Supervisory skills and ability.
* Performs full supervisory duties but also works on the bench more than 50% of the time.
* Ability to organize, prioritize and direct work activities.
* Experience with the operations, testing and services of the area(s) supervised, including setting up, reading and releasing test results and troubleshooting equipment.
* Extensive laboratory skills and experience.
* Reasoning and analytical skills to resolve issues.
* Communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Personal computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
* Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
* Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
* Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
* Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
* May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
* Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
* Fluency in the English language.
* Extended hours may be required.
* Some travel required.
* Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
* Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
IDEXX LABORATORIES, INC. is a leader in pet healthcare innovation, serving practicing veterinarians around the world with a broad range of diagnostic and information technology-based products and services. IDEXX products enhance the ability of veterinarians to provide advanced medical care, improve staff efficiency and build more economically successful practices. IDEXX is also a worldwide leader in providing diagnostic tests and information for livestock and poultry and tests for the quality and safety of water and milk. Headquartered in Maine, IDEXX Laboratories employs more than 6,000 people and offers products to customers in over 175 countries.
IDEXX attracts, rewards and inspires exceptionally talented and motivated people who are eager to participate in two of the most important technological revolutions of our timebiotechnology and information technology.
We offer outstanding opportunities for personal growth and success, and support excellence, world-class standards, and continuous improvement.
At IDEXX, we reward leadership initiative and excellence. Benefits include:
* Health Insurance
* Dental Insurance
* 401(k) Plan
* Vacation Time
* Sick Days
* Paid Holidays
* Life Insurance/AD&D
* Dependent Life Insurance
* Short- and Long-Term Disability Programs
* Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical and Dependent)
* Employee Referral Award Program
* Employee Assistance Program
* Employee Stock Purchase Plan
* Bonus Plan
If you are looking for a challenging work environment that unleashes creativity and energy, is refreshingly honest and comfortably casual, and offers opportunities for unmatched personal growth, we want to hear from you!
ABOUT THE AREA: MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE has all the amenities that come with being the 20th largest city in the U.S., but at a cost of living nearly 14% below the national metro average. A hard-earned dollar goes farther, as there is no state income tax in Tennessee. Home of the blues and the birthplace of rock & roll, the Memphis area holds a rich abundance of artistic diversity including visual art, music, film, dance and theater. Memphis has something for every sports fan, as it is home to the NBAs Memphis Grizzlies, and minor league baseball and hockey teams. With numerous local and state parks, Memphis has plenty of places to bike, jog, paddle, play and fish. Memphis, home to Southern cooking and mouthwatering barbeque has been featured countless times on the Food Network and Travel Channel.
NO UNSOLICITED EMPLOYMENT AGENCY RESUMES ARE ACCEPTED.