Sr. Applications Developer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/18/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
United Parcel Service, Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONSenior Applications Developer
Are you looking to advance your Information Technology career? If so, Then UPS is the place for you!
UPS is now recognized as a technology company spending more than $1 billion a year on information technology. UPS provides its customers unparalleled capability in tracking and distribution intelligence. This technological infrastructure also enables UPS to provide fully integrated Web-enabled, business-to-business solutions.
UPS Information Services, a leader in information technology, is currently seeking career-minded individuals to join our team. If you are highly motivated with a degree in Computer Science or related discipline, Then UPS is a great place for you to advance your career.
The Senior Applications Developer provides input and support for, and performs full systems life cycle management activities (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.). He/She participates in component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements. This position provides input to applications development project plans and integrations. He/She collaborates with teams and supports emerging technologies to ensure effective communication and achievement of objectives. This position provides knowledge and support for applications development, integration, and maintenance. He/She provides input to department and project teams on decisions supporting projects.
Candidates must possess strong technical and communication skills, be able to quickly grasp technical and business concepts and be able to work independently and in a team environment. Candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, demonstrate proactive approach to knowledge gathering and possess the ability to quickly build strong working relationships with Functional and IT Business partners.
Contributes to I.S. Projects
* Conducts systems and requirements analyses to identify project action items.
* Creates task lists and cost and time estimates to support project plan development.
* Performs assigned functions and tasks to meet project plan and quality review requirements.
* Records, updates, monitors, and determines solutions for project deviations to ensure effective resolutions.
* Reviews project team accomplishments to assist with peer development and to provide project updates for management and customers.
* Reviews and compiles project issues to support effective resolutions.
* Monitors project activities to ensure I.S. governance, standards, and policies compliance.
Performs System Analysis and Design
* Participates in defining and developing technical specifications to meet systems requirements.
* Analyzes and translates logical designs to create physical designs.
* Assesses detailed designs and documentation to ensure alignment with business requirements.
* Defines interfaces among systems components to ensure interoperability.
* Creates and reviews interface agreements to ensure proper transfer of information between systems.
* Evaluates vendor technologies to recommend potential products for use.
* Leads peer reviews to ensure requirements are met.
Designs and Develops Moderate to Highly Complex Applications
* Analyzes, designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents moderate to highly complex programs to ensure optimal performance and compliance.
* Reviews and understands specifications to achieve coding tasks.
* Reviews, analyzes, and refines requirements and specifications to ensure quality.
* Records and updates defects log to ensure thorough and accurate documentation.
Develops Application Documentation
* Develops and maintains system documentation to ensure accuracy and consistency.
* Creates unit test plans and reviews documented results to ensure requirements are met.
* Creates technical documentation in compliance with UPS Software Development Lifecycle to communicate and update project teams and stakeholders.
Produces Integration Builds
* Defines and produces integration builds to create applications.
* Performs build processes to produce software and to prepare application for delivery.
* Produces integration test specifications to conduct tests, record failures, and conduct fault diagnoses.
Performs Maintenance and Support
* Defines and administers procedures to monitor systems performance and integrity.
* Performs applications maintenance and support functions to support problem resolution.
* Documents maintenance and support activities to ensure quality control.
* Performs business continuity and disaster recovery activities to ensure availability requirements are met.
* Provides maintenance and support modifications to developers, users, and external groups to communicate updates.
* Observes and evaluates the systems usage by users to improve applications quality and effectiveness.
* Records and updates defect logs to monitor system reliability.
* Designs, creates, develops, customizes, and maintains training content to enhance quality of support.
Supports Emerging Technologies and Products
* Monitors the industry to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies.
* Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products to maintain industry competitiveness.
* Determines relevance and potential value of new technologies to support business objectives and strategy.
Primary Skill: Java Programming
SQL Server Admin - Beginner
SQL Language - Advanced
SQL Programming - Advanced
XML - Advanced
Java Server Pages - Beginner
Java Beans - Intermediate
Web Development Technologies - Intermediate
Object Oriented Analysis & Design - Advanced
Client Server Architecture - Advanced
Linux Application Development - Intermediate
Peoplesoft - Beginner
MQ - Intermediate
Java Programming - Advanced
J2EE Development - Beginner
JMS - Intermediate
Microsoft Office - Intermediate
JMeter - Beginner
The desired Senior Applications Developer will possess a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics or related field or the equivalent in education and work experience. A degree is preferred. UPS is an equal opportunity employer race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity