Sr. Applications Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 12/3/2016
Grand Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAbout Steelcase Inc.
Inspired by over 100 years of insight, Steelcase leverages the power of place to offer a comprehensive portfolio of workplace, healthcare, and education products, furnishings and services to serve the world's leading organizations. Founded in 1912, Steelcase is the global leader in enhancing how people work, heal, and learn.
We're a globally-integrated organization with nearly 10,000 employees around the world. Our employees are our greatest asset, who showcase a strong commitment to integrity and doing the right thing for their customers, employees, business partners, associates and neighbors.
The IT Open Systems team has an opening for a .NET developer with 2+ years' experience. The opening is for an application engineer or a senior application engineer. The individual will be responsible for leading various sized projects and responsible for a variety of web/webservice development and support activities. This person will start by working with a mentor on specific application requests or projects and then will evolve into a lead analyst / developer.
The Open Systems team is a highly collaborative team that truly enjoys working with technology and staying on the leading edge of web development practices. We are a diverse group of personalities with a variety of strengths. As the manager of the team, I enjoy promoting an environment where the team can be innovative and creative with their solutions while also linking them strongly with our business partners and encouraging them to grow as professionals. We work hard together and also have fun together as a team. I look for individuals who desire to be true IT professionals for Steelcase and who desire to form strong partnerships and relationships with our business/client community.
The Open Systems team plays several critical roles for Steelcase. Our solutions tend to be quite global in nature and this is our approach by default for our solutions.
* Application integration: architecting solutions and developing webservices that allow multiple purchased or custom software applications to interface with each other in a secure way.
* Custom application development: developing web applications where purchased software doesn't meet Steelcase's requirements
* Technical strategy / guidance: consulting with other Steelcase professionals and with various project teams that desire assistance with how a technology architecture can be created for their situations.
* Works with the client community in the definition of scope, requirements, processes, and procedures to ensure the success of projects. Develops working relationships with business area leaders and end users
* Analyzes, designs, develops, tests, and implements high quality web-based applications in support of business initiatives
* Applies development methodologies to projects of various sizes in compliance with project management practices
* Applies good project planning/project management skills to work independently or to lead projects of various sizes
* Recognizes business needs and proactively proposes new projects and defines project scope, requirements and timetables
* Travels occasionally for the purposes of training or to visit client groups (domestic/international)
* Stays current with new or emerging tools and technologies
The skills and abilities required can be divided into the following categories:
* Technical skills
* Object-Oriented programming: Microsoft .NET preferred (VB/C#)
* Relational database design and application development (Oracle/SQL Server)
* Web services development (SOAP/REST)
* Project Planning and Project Management skills
* Experience in planning out and running projects using agile-based techniques
* Leading project teams and running team meetings
* Personal drive to meet commitments and deliver high quality work
* Communication and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated ability to engage and influence clients in their technical solutions
* Ability to work effectively both independently and in team settings
* Self-starter, with the confidence to seek knowledge independently as well as an aptitude for complex applications
* Strong customer orientation (for both internal and external customers)
* Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
* Bachelor degree in an IT related field
* 2+ years' experience developing web applications using Microsoft .NET languages (VB/C#)
* 2+ years' experience working with relational databases (Oracle/SQL Server)
* Experience developing web services (SOAP/REST) preferred.
* Experience using Amazon Web Services and/or Microsoft Azure cloud platforms preferred.
Steelcase strongly supports a diverse workplace and welcomes all applicants. Steelcase offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including profit sharing. To learn more about our company, visit our website at www.steelcase.com.