Sr. Clinical Program Coordinator (Oncology Patient Navigator)- Simmons Cancer Center- Breast Cancer 9/3/2016
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Licensure in one of the following and four (4) years inpatient/outpatient experience in field of work is required. BLS certification is required.
-Licensure as a Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas with a minimum of a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing; Master's degree preferred.
-PharmD with licensure in the State of Texas.
-LMSW with licensure in the State of Texas.
1.Serves as a point of contact for referring physicians, patients, and caregivers to assist with patient scheduling and coordination of care.
2.Serves as an essential link between patients and all other care providers and functions as a patient advocate to help the patient and family along the health care continuum.
3.Facilitates appointments for consults and support services within established service standards working with patient navigators and Patient Physician Referral Services as necessary.
4.Coordinates multidisciplinary planning and facilitates care conferences as necessary.
5.May develop patient education programs and tools.
6.Responsible for outreach efforts based on registries and other tools to help close patient care gaps, facilitate referrals, and other services as needed to promote highest quality of care, and optimum health.
7.Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: (a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; (b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; (c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or (d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
This position will act as an Oncology Patient Navigator with the additional responsibilities/duties listed below:
* Facilitates care of new patients in clinic by ensuring patients are scheduled in timely fashion at specialty clinics and that necessary clinical data is available to consultant.
* Records patients\' medical history and may use questionnaire to determine appropriateness of exams.
* Reviews and educates patients on procedures, preparation instructions and answers patient\'s questions concerning medical exam.
* Responsible for meeting with patients and provider to discuss plan of care before patient is discharged.
* Aids transfer of information between clinic and university affiliated hospitals by ensuring all relevant clinical data is available to admitting physicians. This may include the current medication list, problem list and pertinent study results.
* Notifies care providers of patient admission and/or exam results.
* Ensures follow-up appointments and tests/procedures are scheduled for patients.
* If applicable, ensures discharge medications are entered into system and/or verifies home health orders, durable supplies and PT orders are placed.
* Functions as liaison with other departments concerning coordination of multiple and/or special procedures.
* Collaborates with management to implement new, or modify existing, processes regarding: patient scheduling, patient exam preparation information, location of equipment, and communication of exam results.
* Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
OCN certified RN or LCSW with OSW-C* highly preferred, with a heavy background in Oncology.
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..