Sr Database Administrator - Rancho Cordova, CA - Contractor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 11/16/2016
SGS North America
Rancho Cordova, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONA Database Administrator is responsible for the overall administration of corporate database assets including architecture, design, installation, monitoring, backup, recovery, troubleshooting and ongoing maintenance.
The following are examples of typical duties that may be assigned to the position of Database Administrator. It does not imply that the positionwill perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned. Other duties may be assigned.
THE DATABASEADMINISTRATORS SHALL:
* Analyze, diagnose and correct problems related to the database assets of the company.
* Analyze server hardware needs and requirements for existing and future programs or initiatives of the company, and recommend solutions as they relate to architecture and implementation of the corporate database assets.
* Analyzes complex data using a variety of database management software tools, and prepare reports on database performance, reliability, availability, growth and other pertinent information as defined by company management.
* Manages the installations, operation, backup, recovery and general maintenance of all database assets for the company.
* Develops, reports upon, and manages database and data security, including mitigation of security issues.
* Documents installation and maintenance of database software, including the databases themselves.
* Develop and document data models and data dictionaries using standard modeling notations.
* Provides technical support (product recommendation and configuration) as it relates to corporate database assets.
* Resolves end user and/or customer issues as they relate to data or database assets.
* Resolves database performance issues or outage conditions.
* Continuously endeavor to learn and improve upon IT related skills via self study, self discovery and/or company sponsored training.
* Participates in rotation on call duties, including after hours work and weekends, at the direction of the IT Operations Manager.
* Collaborate closely with the other Senior Member staff and the IT Operations Manager on all new and existing company programs and initiatives.
* Collaborate closely and proactively with the rest of the Operations Team in situations where database activity (backup, recovery, OEM, storage) will affect the systems or networks.
* Architect, document and deploy database related solutions for the company and all current and future programs managed by the company.
* Responsible for diagnosis, escalation and mitigation of database issues related to the company and all current and future programs managed by the company.
* Participate in the selection, engagement and coordination with Third Party Vendors as related to company database assets.
One of the following:
a) Bachelors Degree in ComputerScience, ComputerInformation Systems or related fieldfrom a nationally accredited 4 year college or university where the degree curriculum is based upon science, mathematics or empirical knowledge.
b) At least 5 (five)years experiencein administration of corporate database assets including architecture, design, installation, monitoring, backup, recovery, troubleshooting and ongoing maintenance in a paid full time position.
Four (4) years of additional experience can be substituted for the BachelorsDegree requirement above.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILL REQUIREMENTS
* Ability to perform well in a team of Database/System Administrator professionals.
* Proficient level scripting ability (perl, ksh, bash, or equivalent common scripting language)
* Proficient level ability using Unix and Windows command syntax
* Proficient level ability creating diagrams and documentation of database architecture
* General understanding of network topologies including both local LAN and WAN architectures.
* Proficient level ability using general software and tools including but not limited to Toad, Microsoft Windows based workstations, Microsoft Office suite of applications, and general local or web based software tools
COMPANY SPECIFIC SKILL REQUIREMENTS
* Expert level of understanding regarding architecture, use, configuration, support and maintenance of Oracle RDBMS including Oracle 11g and 12c.
* Expert level of understanding regarding disaster recovery architectures within an Oracle environment, including use, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of both Logical and Physical Standby Databases.
* Proficient level understanding regarding architecture, use, configuration, support and maintenance of Oracle related products, including but not limited to:
* Active DataGuard
* Golden Gate
* Real Application Clusters (RAC)
* Recovery Manager (RMAN)
* Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
* Database Control
* Grid Control
* Proficient level understanding machine virtualization (e.g. VMWare) and how database assets behave both within the Virtual Machine environments and their surrounding host environment, including use of Virtual IP addressing and highly available client connectivity.
* Proficient level understanding of database principles for operating systems including all Linux variants (Suse, RedHat, CentOS, etc.), Windows, and Unix variants (AIX, Solaris).
* Proficient level understanding of the use of Oracle TNS connectivity, including use and configuration of Oracle Connection Manager, use and configuration of highly available connectivity options for clients (e.g. TAF) and methods for tracing connectivity issues.
* Proficient level understanding of Security issues in a database environment, including intrusion detection, monitoring, reporting and mitigation.
* Proficient level understanding of methods for backing up and recovering Oracle RDBMS databases, including incomplete and complete recovery, cloning methods and recovery to alternative targets.
* Proficient level understanding of debugging and tracing methodologies (including interpretation of findings) within an Oracle RDBMS environment.
* Expert level understanding of data replication methods within Oracle, including creation of custom PL/SQL, Export, Import, DataPump, Streams, Golden Gate and Active DataGuard.
* Expert level understanding in use and syntax of Structured Query Language (SQL).
* Proficient understanding in the design, syntax, coding, debugging, deployment and maintenance of Oracle PL/SQL programs, packages, procedures and functions.
* Oral Comprehension: The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
* Written Comprehension: The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
* Oral Expression: the ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
* Deductive Reasoning: The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
* Inductive Reasoning: The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
In addition to the above requirements, the following is preferred:
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with both local and remote teams
* Proficiency at describing technical solutions and issues to both technical and non technical audiences
* This is a contract position that is expected to last for a duration of one year starting in October 2016.
o Oracle Certified Associate(OCA)
o Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
o Oracle Certified Master(OCM)