Sr Director, Research and Development
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/16/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Zoetis is a global animal health company dedicated to supporting customers and their businesses in ever better ways. Building on 60 years of experience, we deliver quality medicines and vaccines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services. We are working every day to better understand and address the real-world challenges faced by those who raise and care for animals in ways they find truly relevant.
Our name, Zoetis (z -EH-tis), has its root in zo, familiar in words such as zoo and zoology and derived from zoetic, meaning pertaining to life. It signals our company's dedication to supporting the veterinarians and livestock producers everywhere who raise and care for the farm and companion animals on which we all depend.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
This key role leads the Research & Development group for Zoetis Global BioDevices & Automation business. This position is responsible for identifying and applying novel technologies to drive solutions that dramatically improve the business value equation of Zoetis by innovating new and disruptive product ideas/concepts at the interface of engineering and biology to meet customer needs, industry trends, and/or business needs. This position will manage multiple simultaneous project teams from ideation to development and commercialization of new applied bio-mechanical technology and devices, including, idea generation, research, evaluation, product design, feasibility analysis, value assessment, introduction, and commercialization of bio-devices. This position develops new products in close coordination and concert with Global BioDevice Commercial and Marketing, BioDevice Project Management, and GlobalBioDevice Operations . This position reports to the Vice President, BioDevcies and Automation and manages four senior level engineers/scientists.
* Leads multi-disciplinary teams (internal and external) across multiple projects through development and implementation of technical strategies and solutions for the successful and timely development of new products to meet business needs.
* Identify potential opportunities for innovation and explore application of emerging technology to bio-devices that address unmet customer needs and increase performance of existing solutions.
* Coordinate and drive new product development in concert with Global BioDevice Commercial and Marketing Prioritize projects under development based on financial valuation and strategic need and allocate R&D resources accordingly with input from business leadership utilizing interaction with Project Management, Global BioDevice Commercial and Marketing, and global commercial input.
* Manage R&D expense budget through appropriate prioritization and allocation to maximize resource utilization
* Plan, direct, coordinate, and conduct the development for new applied biotechnology through commercialization that achieves planned objectives.
* Launch multiple projects to develop proof of concept, design and build functional prototypes, and develop business case for product development.
* Provide biological process expertise for the development and commercialization of new applied bio-mechanical technology.
* Support the transfer of newly commercial technology/devices to the Sales and Marketing, Field Service, and Manufacturing Departments. Coordinate accurate and thorough documentation of project progress. Provide timely status/progress updates for new applied biotechnology projects.
* Coordinate the communication and dissemination of information relating to new bio-mechanical devices.
* Advanced degree in Engineering discipline or related scientific or management discipline.
* Professional Engineer license is preferred.
* Minimum of 15 years post-Bachelor's experience relevant to engineering, research or new product development
* Minimum of 10 years of management experience. Preference is for senior management experience directing an engineering development group, preferably in the biological devices arena, including specific experience with hardware, software and controls.
* Demonstrated new product development experience from concept through commercialization.
* Knowledge and practical application of current and emerging engineering science and cutting edge technologies.
* Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, Design for Six Sigma, or other quality metric systems.
* Excellent leadership, management and interpersonal skills.
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Usual office and manufacturing working conditions plus some field work