Sr. Food Service Worker - Per Diem 9/2/2016
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Sr. Food Service Worker - Per Diem
Trades & Services
8 ; 20%
This classification is represented by a union
Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
The Department of Nutrition & Food Services has two major divisions: nutrition services and food services. The Department provides professional nutrition services and food to patients in the hospitals and clinics at Parnassus and Mount Zion sites. It is also operates a retail cafeteria at Parnassus and provides a full range of catering services to the Medical Center, Mount Zion, Mission Bay, campus, and the surrounding community.
This person works as a team to provide patient food service that is safe, accurate, timely and responsive to the patient s needs. Food service includes stocking and serving portion controlled hot and cold food, replenishing stations, restocking work stations, assembly, delivery and collection of patient trays. The person maintains cleanliness and sanitation of the work stations and equipment. This position is responsible for providing excellent patient and nursing interactions and is looked upon as the ambassador for the department of Nutrition and Food Services.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Patient Tray Assembly
* Accurately assemble trays for patients per tray tickets
* Maintain efficiency and timeliness of tray assembly standard of three trays per minute
* Set up hot or cold stations, brew coffee, make milkshakes or prepare cold food items and patient nourishments
* Maintain portion control while preparing and serving on trays
* Prevent cross contamination of foods while serving food on trays
* Use correct equipment and procedures to maintain service temperature of food on patient trays
* Perform hand hygiene and use gloves while handling ready to use foods
* Check patient trays for accuracy and presentation
* Load trays on the meal carts
* Utilize the TUGS system to dispatch the carts
Patient Tray Delivery
* Deliver and pick up trays for patient and guest meals from their rooms per sequencing and dispatch from TIM clerk.
* Use hospitality scripts to maintain patient satisfaction
* Use translator phones as needed to communicate with patients
* Perform two identifier check prior to passing trays
* Perform hand hygiene of gel in and out while passing trays
* Maintain efficiency and timeliness of tray delivery standard of 40 minutes
* Use Computrition to log into tray in motion system.
* Scan trays delivered to patients using iPOD and maintain records for missed meal rounds on patient rosters
* Maintain pantry stock and sanitation
* Pass menus to patients and assist patients with meal ordering, refer to nutrition assistant as needed.
* Follow appropriate isolation precaution procedures
* Assist in food preparation and delivery of late trays
* Utilize hand held credit card charging devices for guest meals
* Utilize ASCOM phones and scripts to maintain professional and timely communication with the TIM clerk and the diet office.
* Assist patients with Oneview bedside meal ordering system
* Utilize the TUGS system to receive meal trays and send down soiled trays.
* Clean and sanitize dishes, pots, and pans, patient meal carts
* Maintaining cleanliness of work area, floors
* Clean and sanitize work surfaces and equipment per specified procedures
* Sort trash, recycling and compost items from patient trays
* Picks up trash, recycling and compost from all areas of the department and takes it to designated containers in the trash room area for removal.
* Check and maintain logs for dish machine temperatures and sanitizer concentration checks.
* Replenish soap, paper towels, hair nets, and gloves throughout main kitchen area.
* Utilize the TUGS system to receive soiled trays
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Performs other duties as assigned.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required.
LIVING PRIDE STANDARDS
* Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
* Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
* Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
* Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
* Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
* Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
* Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
* Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
* Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
* High School diploma or equivalent required
* Minimum of 2 years experience in food service operations or hospitality
* Read, write and be understood in English
* This position requires flexibility