Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
Cobham is seeking a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer that will support sustaining activities and participate in development of new products. This position is located in Orchard Park, NY.
* Gain familiarity with existing production hardware and provide sustaining engineering support to the manufacturing personnel.
* Investigate and disposition Material Discrepancy Reports (MDRs) through drawing review, vendor communication and interaction with the cross-functional team.
* Participate in the internal Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) training class and apply the concepts learned to everyday engineering activities.
* Using input from the cross functional team, propose design changes that will improve the manufacturability, performance, and or cost of existing production hardware.
* Participate in failure investigations and recommend/implement corrective actions.
* Consistently apply the Standard Engineering processes to each development effort undertaken.
* Diligently document each step of the design process for future reference/re-use.
* Responsible for ensuring that appropriate Safety, Health and Environment (S/H/E) concepts are applied consistently to each project in accordance with Cobham guidelines.
* Completed Bachelors of Science Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Aeronautical Engineering.
* Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience.
* Completed coursework in core engineering principles including: statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, heat transfer and control systems.
* Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
* This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
* Experience with SolidWorks 3D CAD a plus.
* Ability to work effectively within a cross functional team.
* Possess good oral and written communication skills as well as being comfortable in making presentations.
* Have sound problem resolution, judgment and decision making skills.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And its the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
See all of our latest opportunities at www.cobhamcareers.com or follow us on our LinkedIn page at www.linkedin.com/company/cobham.
To be considered you must apply by going to www.cobhamcareers.com.
Job Category: Engineering
Primary Location: US-New York-Orchard Park
Organization: Cobham Mission Systems Orchard Park
Recruiter: Theresa Zens