Research Associate II 9/10/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description:
The Broad Institute is a remarkable institution - we apply our deep knowledge of human genetics to empower a revolution in biomedicine and accelerate the pace at which the world conquers disease. Through our partnerships with MIT, Harvard, and the Harvard teaching hospitals, we've become a worldwide hub for genomic medicine.
The primary role for this position is to enable therapeutic discovery through the expression, purification and characterization of therapeutic protein targets. The successful candidate will have multiple experiences in the construction of expression vectors, and expression and purification of recombinant proteins from bacterial systems. Experience in the use of insect and/or mammalian expression systems is advantageous, as is experience in biophysical and functional analysis of recombinant proteins.
* Construction of expression vectors for recombinant protein expression
* Executing and improving protocols to express recombinant proteins
* Purifying tagged or native proteins by FPLC (affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic and size exclusion chromatography)
* Characterizing recombinant protein through biophysical techniques and activity assays
* Initiating and completing routine procedures independently and efficiently
* Interpreting experimental outcomes and proposing next steps
* Troubleshooting technical and scientific problems
* Operating and maintaining laboratory equipment independently
* Documenting work and effectively presenting results
* Working in partnership with other team members to best achieve results
* B.S. or M.S. in Biochemistry, Biophysics or a related life science field with 2+ years of post-degree research experience in an industrial or academic setting
* Experience with molecular cloning and vector construction required
* Experience in bacterial protein expression required, insect and/or mammalian cell expression is advantageous
* Experience in recombinant protein purification through multiple techniques (affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion) required
* Experience in the biophysical and functional characterization of recombinant proteins is advantageous
* A proven record of successful interaction with project team members, external customers or vendors required
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities